Single best upgrade everyone can finally agree on under $500
May 28, 2020 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

John Massaria

Member of the Trade: JM Audio Editions/Headphone Modifications
The best thing I can personally suggest is to invest in a dedicated 15A-20A single pole circuit breaker for your digital equipment and AND MAYBE another 15-20A for your amplifier/preamp/headamp. Using 12 gauge or better yet 10 gauge romex type wire. Another suggestion while your electrician is there- ask him to tighten all grounds connected to your box. To quote an article I read from PS Audio (not a fan or not of PS Audio mind you)- "A dedicated AC line is simply a separate AC wire going back to your home’s circuit breaker box. Instead of the standard AC feed with multiple AC outlets available for many pieces of equipment, a dedicated line is a “home run” single-use wire from the equipment it powers all the way back to the circuit breaker box where the AC power comes into our homes.... For less than the cost of a budget power amplifier-a mere $373.45—the electrician ran two new 20A lines to the listening room, one with the hot on one side of neutral, the other on the other. Each had its own circuit breaker and each fed two hospital-grade wall sockets. (These orange receptacles grasp the prongs of AC plugs with a clasp akin to the Vulcan death grip.)" Hope this helps- when you sell your home its a feature some buyers may love- but in the time in between you will have musical bliss blowing away any cable purchase or maximizing equipment purchases you can make. You could also do a isolated ground- and a metal box thats also grounded. Please discuss if you find this helpful.

May 28, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 15
May 28, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 15
That is a decent stop-gap, but personally I commissioned PG&E to put up my own dedicated power pole w/ upgraded silver cryo wiring. It really lifted the veil.
Don’t jest I have a rich buddy who owns musical paradise studio in garden city ny- he dug a 100ft plus 8x1” pure copper ground into the (Errr) ground By a well company and got the electric company to put up a special oil filled capacitor on the pole. His entire studio has all the audio wire on one side of building and lighting on other side crossing by right angles. I could go I but it’s one of the best studios in the world by far. My other friend is an engineer for bands like Boston - he’s been around and he said it’s the craziest best set up ever.

May 28, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 15
is there any device i can buy, plug in to improve hugo 2 sound?
Running dedicated power in your home for audio is the thing that will always improve what ever you hook up to it

May 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 15
is that a device i buy?

Just read the first post again, plus :
https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-install-a-dedicated-ac-line/
and
https://www.stereophile.com/features/991ac/index.html
then watch the video that you will find in the psaudio article
then watch the video which is in the first post.

Resume :
Your local electrical network is made of standard components which potentially defiles the electricity.

This thread is about replacing a part of this network with better components, and eventually modifying its architecture, in order to get a purer electricity, and consequently a better sound, for a very low expense compared to what you would have to pay to obtain equally significant improvements, by upgrading your audio components.

May 29, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Just read the first post again, plus :
https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-install-a-dedicated-ac-line/
and
https://www.stereophile.com/features/991ac/index.html
then watch the video that you will find in the psaudio article
then watch the video which is in the first post.

Resume :
Your local electrical network is made of standard components which potentially defiles the electricity.

This thread is about replacing a part of this network with better components, and eventually modifying its architecture, in order to get a purer electricity, and consequently a better sound, for a very low expense compared to what you would have to pay to obtain equally significant improvements, by upgrading your audio components.
Yes and all the gear you hook up will be at max quality at highest performance I would think

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Don’t jest I have a rich buddy who owns musical paradise studio in garden city ny- he dug a 100ft plus 8x1” pure copper ground into the (Errr) ground By a well company and got the electric company to put up a special oil filled capacitor on the pole. His entire studio has all the audio wire on one side of building and lighting on other side crossing by right angles. I could go I but it’s one of the best studios in the world by far. My other friend is an engineer for bands like Boston - he’s been around and he said it’s the craziest best set up ever.

This is going to cost a lot more than $500. Also I suggest getting enough training (self taught, or with a Master at your side) to go ahead and handle tasks such as rewiring, R&R plugs. Also putting bypass caps in your equipment. There are many scams in this area as well (esp hooked up to equipment, so do your homework before spending $$ on that stuff.

Also working on your room based on 35+ years of home and professional experience is liable to do more for one than putting in fancy 12 ga OCC wire, making sure all your plugs have correct polarity, etc. Not everyone has to deal witj oxidized cooper wire from 1937, or aluminum junk from 1976. Some people actually have decent power in.

As for $500? Buy a used LG phone ($200 for a v40 six months ago), $20/mo for hi-res Tidal (paid for by selling off my 500 CD collection), get the UAPP and Toneboosters EQ apps for about $12 total, $20 for cable to ones DAC. Bit perfect or 6 band parametric EQ. Blasts away any CD transport I've ever heard, and there is money to spare. WIth my Gumby DAC I think its better than *maybe* all of two vinyl systems I've known, and one reel-to-reel.

For the price of your fix, I'd recommend the room acoustics in almost all cases instead, and a bit perfect streamer for dirt cheap that also doubles as a cell, meets the $500 budget with elan.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 15
This is going to cost a lot more than $500. Also I suggest getting enough training (self taught, or with a Master at your side) to go ahead and handle tasks such as rewiring, R&R plugs. Also putting bypass caps in your equipment. There are many scams in this area as well (esp hooked up to equipment, so do your homework before spending $$ on that stuff.

Also working on your room based on 35+ years of home and professional experience is liable to do more for one than putting in fancy 12 ga OCC wire, making sure all your plugs have correct polarity, etc. Not everyone has to deal witj oxidized cooper wire from 1937, or aluminum junk from 1976. Some people actually have decent power in.

As for $500? Buy a used LG phone ($200 for a v40 six months ago), $20/mo for hi-res Tidal (paid for by selling off my 500 CD collection), get the UAPP and Toneboosters EQ apps for about $12 total, $20 for cable to ones DAC. Bit perfect or 6 band parametric EQ. Blasts away any CD transport I've ever heard, and there is money to spare. WIth my Gumby DAC I think its better than *maybe* all of two vinyl systems I've known, and one reel-to-reel.

For the price of your fix, I'd recommend the room acoustics in almost all cases instead, and a bit perfect streamer for dirt cheap that also doubles as a cell, meets the $500 budget with elan.

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Well wiring dedicated outlets doesn’t have to be expensive - reread what I wrote. It’s an upgrade to your actual home that will pay with anything hooked up to it. Gear comes and goes but dedicated lines always pay off.

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 15
Don't know what i should think about it.

Yes. A well made cabling still is the best for all situations.
But:
Is it necessary on all power grids?
Maybe on 110V, i don't know.
On my side, we have 230V power grids, which is more stable, i guess.
So using devices with a well made section of voltage filters will bring the most benefit, i think.

Untill now, I didn't run into trouble with such behaviors. :wink:

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 15
Well wiring dedicated outlets doesn’t have to be expensive - reread what I wrote. It’s an upgrade to your actual home that will pay with anything hooked up to it. Gear comes and goes but dedicated lines always pay off.

I was unclear, outlets are a good and cheap idea (if you avoid audiophile "hospital grade" ones that is), but when you start rewiring the home, or doing what your friend did - that can get into major bucks - esp if you are not doing the work.

I find that snipping off the leads (or at least cleaning them (oxidation) if there is no slack) to the outlets or the fuse/breaker box goes a long way to improving the sound. From the old days I have a nice supply of cramolin, (check out what full bottles of 10 and 20 costs these days) tweek, and deoxIT to do that job. Also make sure there are no unhooked grounds, or outlets out of phase.

What's very clear is that it is an area to pay attention too - if for nothing else - peace of mind. I bought a house in '95 (built in '60), and after a few months deoxed the wire ends at the outlet and at the board, and the difference in sound was exceptional - which I'm sure will be disputed by the Sheldon Cooper wannabe crowd. I argued that in an old audio newsgroup back in '95, Stewart one of the Coopers - backed me up with technical reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back