Singapore June 2015 Head-Fi meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kchew

100+ Head-Fier
We just had the June Singapore Head-fi yesterday, and with over 30 attendees, some vendors and lots of pretty cool equipment, we all had a blast! Some pictures:

Welcome to Head-Fi SG!

CD-ROM CD player. It even uses a CD caddy!

Superlux HD 668B, Bank Negara Malaysia Edition

Trying out the HD800s

Class in session

Nobsound MS10D MkII amp, surprisingly good!

Customs, customs and more customs

Ready for business!

Audition, start!

Lost in his own world

Modded HE-560s are not bad

Mega Yulong stack

Another Yulong stack

"I better post about my experience"

iFi and Audio Technica

JDM Pioneer XPA-700

Caught in the act

Audio Technica Row

Oh yeah...

Taking notes

"Do I take the plunge?"

Modded Audio Technica HA22 and Chord Hugo

Most redonkulous cable ever?

rushofblood also posted his pictures here as well.

Now for some brief impressions:

Nobsound MS10D MkII

A made-in-China tube amp with built-in DAC, bluetooth connectivity and speaker taps for less than $150, how good could it possibly be? Surprisingly good actually! I hooked up my Sony MDR-CD900ST, streamed some songs over and I quite enjoyed what I got. Even over a bluetooth connection, details were present, bass punch was quite enjoyable and the Sony's clear midrange was untouched. Soundstate was pretty wide as well. At that price, the Nobsound was quite an unexpected winner.

Light Harmonics Pulse Xfi and Eddie Current Monolith

Starting off with the Pulse Xfi, I plugged in my HD800 and got a pretty decent performance, but nothing exceptional. Things changed when I plugged the HD800 into the Monolith, which was hooked up to the Pulse Xfi's analog outputs. The Monolith was a great pairing with the HD800, offering a smooth yet detailed sound signature with just the right tonal balance. It had very good soundstaging and dynamics as well. Too bad about the headphone out of the Pulse Xfi, but its DAC section was quite good.

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Generally, I don't like Audio Technica's smaller headphones, but this one quite captivated me. It has a nice fun sound signature with punchy bass, non-fatiguing highs and smooth midrange. It may not be as techical as my Sony's, but it makes few sacrifices to achieve portability. Definitely one to consider in the portable category.

Yulong DA8 ii and Sabre A8

To be honest, I found this setup a bit dry for the HD800. But otherwise this combination had excellent detail retrieval, soundstaging and dynamics. I noticed many people trying it favourably with the HD650.

Grado HF-2

"This is not your typical Grado", I told the owner after listening to it on my Dynalo amp. For once, I encountered a Grado that can do female vocals as well as male vocals. Together with creamy treble that's not in-your-face and grooving deep bass, I found the HF-2 to be one of the most enjoyable headphones at the meet that just lets me forget about the techncal stuff and concentrate on the music.

AKG K7xx Massdrop Edition

I was a former owner of the K701, so I thought I'd see how different the K7xx was. It's a big improvement in comfort (no more headband bumps), treble (no longer piercing) and bass (there's much more body). This is what the original K701 should have been. Big thumbs up.

And that's a wrap from me, hopefully the rest of the attendees can chime in as well!

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Awesome pics! Thanks!
@siggy modded Audio-Technica AT-HA22Tube was awesome! Sounds excellent driving my HE5-LE 
L3000.gif

Didn't have time to try all @lbbef Audio-Technica collections, but the ATH-A900XLTD and ATH-ES10 were awesome! Different, opposite character, but both were really good! 
L3000.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 11
  Awesome pics! Thanks!
@siggy modded Audio-Technica AT-HA22Tube was awesome! Sounds excellent driving my HE5-LE 
L3000.gif

Earfonia, thanks as well, for bringing your HE5-LE and allowing us all a brief audition with the XFI.

I too genuinely enjoyed listening with your HE5-LE with my Pulse Xfi powered via Geek LPS, an iPad with the Onkyo HF and DSD, and the Geek 10G USB cable, and optional HybridTube with Mundorf Caps and Telefunken.    I've been pairing this HybridTube Amp with various DACs including the Hugo, IDSD Micro, GO Signature Edition for over a year now.  And honestly can say that one of the best I've heard the past 2 weeks, is with the Pulse XFI.  

Now based on Initial impressions from guys that  did a brief audition, the Pulse XFI SQ paired well with the HE5 LE,  Audeze LCD3F, Sennheiser HD800, OPPO PM-1, to name a few of those I can recall.   "I was surprised as HD800 is not a favorite, delightful, very nice, very warm,  I like, how much, what is this?" PLUS all with that spontaneous smile while doing the audition, are some of the comments/response I gathered form thugs, after they did a brief audition.  I suspect that many did not know initially that it was a Light Harmonics -  I

Oh yeah, I decided to stickers-up the "Geek Pulse" label on the front panel, so that the listeners can be more objectivity, especially when some may have already have an opinion (good or bad), based on what they have been reading in the forums rants on the LH Labs ability to deliver the Pulse XFI a year and a half late, and many not yet receiving their Pulse in SG.  It seem to have worked, as over half of those that attended did manage to do the audition.  And all that did the audition, at least those that I met, expressed that they were very happy and some delighted by, what they were hearing.  

Kudos to LH Labs -- Please ship-out the Pulse to our brothers in SG.  Thanks!

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Where can I find this Nobsound MS10D MkII? Is the $150 in USD?

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 11
  someone explain the cd-rom cd player

well is a SCSI CD-ROM player, it has a playback button, so it can play audio CDs

I actually opened it up, it has a not bad opamp inside.... probably good for some light playing

it has a caddy which is not in use in this era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back