Sineaptic SE-1 - World's First Wireless Dual-Ribbon Array Driver Headphone
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
It's about time this headphone and the folks at Sineaptic got some more attention.

_DSC9975.jpg

Specs:
- ARRAY BASED DUAL-DIAPHRAGM RIBBON SPEAKER
- FIRST MASS PRODUCED RIBBON DRIVER
- A COMPLETELY INTEGRATED WIRELESS AND WIRED DESIGN
- BLUETOOTH 5.3 WITH MULTIPOINT CONNECTIVITY
- INTERNAL POWER AMPLIFICATION
- AUX INPUT

TLDR:
It's a bluetooth/wireless, open-back, self-amplified ribbon-driver headphone.

I've already written a review about this headphone.
I think the driver tech is really interesting especially at the price point.
Like any startup, it's not perfect, but the things it does well, it does OH so well.

Dual-array Ribbon Driver:
_DSC9965.jpg

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 10
Apparently the ribbons are quite sensitive to drops and heavy knocks, which can 'stretch' the ribbons, damaging them and changing their tuning.
That's why they have them suspended on elastic.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Best Wireless Headphone In The World Mod (YMMV :p)

If anyone is feeling a bit brave, this mod + EQ turns these into the most high-end wireless (open back) headphones in the world.

Just remove the ear pads and tape on some foam.
I used 15mm foam that compresses to about 10mm.
The result doesn't have to be super tidy or accurate - just enough to stop the headphone from resting directly on your ears - the ribbons are EXTREMELY insensitive to the ear-side materials present, so you don't have to be super tidy about it.

Even with the tiny background humming, this easily beats most consumer wired headphones... the sound quality is actually kind of insane.

1698758049871.jpeg
1698758079414.png

1698758102047.jpeg

Obviously there are better ways of adding simple padding than this quick and dirty mod, but when these ribbons are FULLY open, they become MUCH more neutral.
All that is required is a mid-bass boost and a 6-10KHZ treble dip in EQ.
This is just the EQ on my phone, which isn't perfect, but already sounds awesome with this mod.

FYI the graph goes down to 10hz, so the falloff isn't as bad as it looks.
Sineaptic SE-1 + No Ear Pad Mod.jpg

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 10

If anyone is feeling a bit brave, this mod + EQ turns these into the most high-end wireless (open back) headphones in the world.

The result doesn't have to be super tidy or accurate - just enough to stop the headphone from resting directly on your ears - the ribbons are EXTREMELY insensitive to the ear-side materials present, so you don't have to be super tidy about it.

Even with the tiny background humming, this easily beats most consumer wired headphones... the sound quality is actually kind of insane.

1698758049871.jpeg1698758079414.png
1698758102047.jpeg

Obviously there are better ways of adding simple padding than this quick and dirty mod, but when these ribbons are FULLY open, they become MUCH more neutral.
This is just the EQ on my phone, which isn't perfect, but already sounds awesome with this mod.

Very cool - thanks for sharing this! I'm always game for a reversible mod....

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 10

1698758049871.jpeg1698758079414.png
1698758102047.jpeg

Perhaps something made of Grado bowl pads could work. Cut it partly open like foam pads on RAAL CA-1a.

I'll be receiving my se-1 soon. This is a headphone I did not see coming. I like sr1a alot so obviously I'm quite exited. :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 10
And how do you like them? :)
When I received my unit it could not reach my preferred volume. Sineaptic kindly sent me another incase I received one from old patch that had volume issues. Unfortunately second unit was not much if any louder.

I like to listen quite loud so maybe most people would be fine with it. It's not uncommon for me to drive raal sr1 to a point it starts distorting. Sr1 is perfectly fine most of the time. Sineaptic not so much...

SE-1 is very clear (as in lacking veil) but bit thin on mids. Decent bass. Highs are amazing... Not that far off from SR1 which automatically puts SE-1 in same class with Susvara etc. Of course ymmv etc...I just think there is something very special how ribbons do highs.

If someone with limited budget appreciates airy articulated highs more than anything+is fine with very low volume SE-1 is a must have. People with less niche preferences will be happier with something else.

I hope sineaptic ditches Bluetooth and builts a wired headphone that has a some sort of transformer but is powered by external amp. They actually said they might do something like that someday. I understood that they were surprised "audiophiles" got interested in their headphones. I hope they pull it off. Potential is huge. RAAL is not the worst company with their pricing but there is room for cheaper alternatives.

graph (3).png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Sineaptic kindly sent me another incase I received one from old patch that had volume issues. Unfortunately second unit was not much if any louder.
Do you know what colour the ribbon driver housing is?
I think the order goes...
• Blue = Very Early Production / Product Samples
• Orange = First Revision

For me the latest revision totally fixed the volume issue.
I can crank mine up to very decent levels now.

I mean... unless you REALLY like to listen loud :p YMMV

I hope sineaptic ditches Bluetooth and builts a wired headphone that has a some sort of transformer but is powered by external amp.
100%

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back