Since the Skullcandy's were a bust...
Dec 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

metllicamilitia

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, well I have $100USD I can spend on a set of decent headphones, but it has to be no more than that including shipping as it will be bought with a gift card I got from my employer. So any help on a decent set of headphones for metal. It is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 27
Research the Grado SR60. Maybe even the SR80. They run about $70 and $100 respectively before shipping. Used is less obviously but not sure how that would work with a gift card.

There are some others that are < or = $100 that some others will probably recommend.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 27

Quote:
Okay, well I have $100USD I can spend on a set of decent headphones, but it has to be no more than that including shipping as it will be bought with a gift card I got from my employer. So any help on a decent set of headphones for metal. It is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

giftcards for what?

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 27
I like my sennheiser hd 438s and I listen to metal like as your name metallica, overkill, megadeth and some powermetal and they work fine. i used my friends sr80i and those are also great for metal not any better then my 438s but that is just my opinion. The sr80is I consider have punchy bass and focus on higs, and mids more then bass( there is no skullcandy status bass lol). The sr80i is ok for comfort but the metal in the headband is kinda fatiguing for more then an hour for me. I would go for like the 438s for closed cans or sr80i for open cans if your gift card will support.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 27
can't use the card plus other money?

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 27
Add some of your own cash and spring for something mid-fi. Grado SR225, HD 650 - something like that.

IMHO.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 27
Okay, I will try to find a site that will allow multiple cards to be used as I don't have any headphone stores in my area. The Grados sound good for me since I like more treble than bass. Guitars/vocals slightly higher than bass and drums. I will be using unamped though I don't think it matters at this price range.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 27
You should be good if you can find a place that you can place a phone order. That way there shouldn't be a problem using multiple cards.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 27
i dont recommend grados, i mean the sounds good but everything else is meh.

Also, If you use them for anything other than rock music(games, movies, any other music) you'll regret buying them. some of the senn models are a bit more forgiving in that department.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 27
If they sound good then why not recommend them? Maybe I'm missing something? My Grados do metal, rock, blues, jazz, electronica, acoustic, folk....all extremely well. I am listening to some blues and jazz right now and I am blown away.

I am not saying Grados are the end-all headphone...they aren't. They are very good headphones that do more than one genre. There is better, there is worse. No different than any other headphone out there.

Quote:

Also, If you use them for anything other than rock music(games, movies, any other music) you'll regret buying them. some of the senn models are a bit more forgiving in that department.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 27
They are very sharp to my ears. The treble is just so much that i cannot imagine how anyone can listen to them for an extended period of time. Maybe a treblehead would like them but i prefer a more laid back sound.

Quote:
If they sound good then why not recommend them? Maybe I'm missing something?

Quote:

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 27
A warm setup. I can listen to my 325i's (which some claim are the brightest of the bunch) for hours with no issues. Maybe I am a treblehead...I don't know. I just know what sounds good to my ears and that is Grado on tubes. The OP also stated he likes treble more than bass. Sounds like Grado is a good match for what he is looking for. If not, sell them off/return them and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back