Since the new LD MKI+ is more than the old one...
Sep 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
It'll be just over $200 shipped, which is honestly more than I was going to spend, but if I have to I will. My question is since it bumped me up to the $200+ league, is there a better one for the money or is it still considered as the best amp for $200ish?

I have a Zune, Grado SR225s and just want some more bass and whatnot. I need something portable.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm not sure if any one here has it yet. I'm not so much put off by the price increase, the lower output rating and non swappable opamp made me get the MkI instead before it disappears.

But if the old Mk I is any indication, I don't think any $200 amp in the market is be significantly better. I'd rate the stock MkI and stock D2 Viper as somewhat on par, though I personally prefer the MkI for it's neutrality and sheer power. The D2 is smaller, lighter and has DAC but also cost more.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 8
At expense or power output and whatnot though, right?

I wonder if I should try to score an older one as well, I don't need a ton of battery life. It already lasts longer than my Zune.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At expense or power output and whatnot though, right?

That's what I thought too.

Although the lesser power output does not necessarily translate to worse sound quality, especially where portable headphones/IEMs are concerned. Given that I am shooting in the dark as far as sound quality is concerned, I'd still pick power over battery life.
biggrin.gif
And I figure if I don't like the sound of the old MkI, at least I have the chance of rolling opamps.

However, I am quite disappointed by the battery life of my MkI. I only get about 8 hours of play time every charge, even with IEM, far short of 20 hours promised. My LED lit up only occasionally now, not sure if it has anything to do with the battery (not having enough voltage?). I'm going to check with Little Tube if anything is wrong with my MkI.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Bah, I guess I have to wait until some people post impressions. 8 hours is a lot less than I thought, I don't think I could work with that because if I ever go on a long trip it'll be dying long before my Zune.

Need a comparison of new vs old I suppose.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah 8 hour is kind of ridiculous, I discussed it in the MkI thread, There was a guy who got a bit more than me, and there is a guy who got as much as me. I am contacting them to see if it is working right or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back