Since the KSC75's have been cancelled, what's a good replacement?
May 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I went to Radio Shack to pick up some new KSC75's, and the cashier said that Koss has discontinued the KSC75. I almost had a heart attack. I need some recommendations for some good over ear portable ear phones. Im in the Apple store right now looking at some Bang Olfusen (the ones made for the iPhone). Are they any good? You can't try earphones out before you buy here. I need some suggestions please!

May 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Okay, thanks for the info! However, if I wanted to try some other ones out, which cans would you guys recommend where the sound quality is as good or slightly better than the KSC's.

May 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 15
You've gotta give more info. Are you looking for a portable, budget set like the KSC75? Do you want them to be available in retail stores? How much are you willing to spend? Are you willing to go in-ear or on-ear, or clip-on only?

May 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 15
KSC-75 is still listed on Koss.com so I doubt they've been discontinued. It is true though that it appears as though Radio Shack has stopped carrying them.

I think the only thing that's changed recently is a few updates to the phones, the most prominent being a switch from the L-shaped plug to a straight plug.

If you are looking for headphones as good or better than the KSC-75, two recommendations I'd give would be the Koss PortaPro, and the Sennheiser PX100. Both good phones for the money with similar sound signatures that are a step above the KSC-75, IMO.

May 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 15
I prefer the clip ons like the KSC because I use them at work and I would like to be able to put them in my pocket. I really don't care for in-ear cans but I won't totally rule them out. My price range is up to $200. Right now, the Senn PX100 seems to be highly recommended. Are there any others in my price range?

May 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 15
I second the PX100, but only if you price range is <$60. Above that, you might want to look at the Grado SR60i on-ears or many, many other mid-fi phones.

However, since your limit is $200 and if you want clipons, you really can't do better than the Yuin G1A ($160). If you want something that sounds most similar to the KSC75s, though, you might wanna try to get your hands on the KSC35 (discontinued) which use the PortaPros' drivers.

Here's a thread comparing all the big name clipons:

best-clip-ons

May 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the clip ons like the KSC because I use them at work and I would like to be able to put them in my pocket. I really don't care for in-ear cans but I won't totally rule them out. My price range is up to $200. Right now, the Senn PX100 seems to be highly recommended. Are there any others in my price range?

Check out the threads on the Yuin G1A and G2A ($150 and $50 respectively). Both excellent clip models, with the G2A better than the Ksc75s. They are available at head-direct.com.

But, the Ksc75s are not being canned. Why would stop making a classic?

Here you go, clip-on heaven...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...c-75-a-424109/

May 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go, clip-on heaven...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...c-75-a-424109/

Thanks for duplicating my link...
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyway, I didn't realize koss still sold the KSC35's, but considering they are just portapro drivers with clips, $45 seems a bit steep. Almost cheaper to make em yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back