Simply outstanding stuff from Gloria Estefan!!!
Jun 18, 2007 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, one of my all time favourite latin albums is Gloria Estefan's Mi Tierra. You really don't need to understand Spanish to enjoy this one, it's that good.

This album is filled with great tunes, some absolutely incredible horn and string arrangements, kick @ss percussion work, outstanding performances all around, and of course, stunning vocals from Estefan.

I also really like her album Abriendo Puertas, but not quite as much as Mi Tierra, simply because the tunes are not as strong.

So who has some recommendations for similarly great latin albums?

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, one of my all time favourite latin albums is Gloria Estefan's Mi Tierra. You really don't need to understand Spanish to enjoy this one, it's that good.

This album is filled with great tunes, some absolutely incredible horn and string arrangements, kick @ss percussion work, outstanding performances all around, and of course, stunning vocals from Estefan.

I also really like her album Abriendo Puertas, but not quite as much as Mi Tierra, simply because the tunes are not as strong.

So who has some recommendations for similarly great latin albums?

Trust me on that, that you absolutelly need to understand Spanish to know what this album is about...The music is just a by-product...

As aside note, I'm a Cuban, and if you are not Cuban, and you are not familair with the nostalgic feeling that is involved in what she is singing, you are missing the point, and you will not understand what this feeling is all about, you may like the music but for the the lirycs you absolutelly need to undestand Spanish....

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 5
Of course you need to know Spanish to understand what the album is about.

I'm not Cuban, but I do speak Spanish. And, you certainly don't need to speak Spanish to enjoy this recording because it is so musically outstanding.

So anything else from Cuba equally outstanding?

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course you need to know Spanish to understand what the album is about.

I'm not Cuban, but I do speak Spanish. And, you certainly don't need to speak Spanish to enjoy this recording because it is so musically outstanding.

So anything else from Cuba equally outstanding?

Well, all I can tell you, is that the amount of nostalgy that is present on those lyrics, keep me away from listening it so frequent, this album is a master piece (lyrics talking) if you really understand what is behind scenes...Of course you can enjoy the music, and is very good BTW, but she is really good while involving those feelings is about....
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes, while I can understand most of the lyrics, they don't likely touch me in the same way that they touch you.

I agree, this album is a masterpiece, from start to finish. I don't think that there's a bad cut on the entire recording. It's as fresh to me today as it was when I first heard it more than 10 years ago.

Hey Sov, another of my latin faves is a Locombian guy called Carlos Vives. Know him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back