simple windows question
Dec 1, 2004 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The_Dude

New Head-Fier
My older brother used my computer and installed some windows "powertoys" on the computer. One of those included (which may be the culprit) tweak UI. I dont know what he did, but now ANY icon that would have showed up next to the clock, doesnt. I scoured through all of the options in tweak UI, in additon to all of the right click menu's on the taskbar, and cant seem to find out how to get them back! Im using XP pro SP2. Does anyone know what to do?

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 6
reformat.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 6
lol that seems just a bit of overkill
600smile.gif
. it really sucks just HEARING trillian make noises, i cant read it, i just know someone is frantically IM'ing me. i never realized how much i need those icons until now...

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 6
If you have your original Windows install CD you can try a "repair" install, which reinstalls all the critical system files and restores all the settings to the factory defaults. If everything else fails you can try this before a full-blown reformat.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
I've been using Tweak UI for a long time and I haven't run into this issue....maybe your bro is messing with you.
biggrin.gif

I guess one thing to check is your registries to see if he turned off the notifcation area.

That should be in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Windows-CurrentVersion->Policies->Explorer"

If you see something that says "NoTrayItemsDisplay" delete it and restart the computer.

You should have your notifcation area back after the restart. Word of caution, make sure to back up your registries before you edit them!

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back