Simple Soldering Question
Jan 8, 2005 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

d00dz

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at the MINT amp PCB, I was wondering how you would go about soldering the capacitors into place on the two layer design. Usually on a single layer PCB I can just solder on the components stright to the copper since there are no obstructions, but the fat body of the capacitors would get in the way of the via.

Or is it that both layers are connected to each other at every via?

If it is like that, is it impossible to etch myself a two layer MINT board and solder on the capactitors, or is there a trick since the vias aren't connected?

Thanks

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe professional boards have all the holes plated through.

If you search the web, you'll find some home etchers have build their own through-plating machines. They're completely nuts. Gotta love them, I live in a glass house here, but no reason to emulate them. It seems to me that in this forum, for every person who confesses any interest in home etching, five have mastered preparing PCB designs for professional small runs.

You don't want to exactly copy a professional board layout for 2-sided home etching. First, unless you're really on top of your technique, you need to leave a little leeway for alignment and transfer dropout issues, e.g. thicker traces.

Rather, view all of these issues as design constraints that make the puzzle so fascinating. Just as one can run a trace under a resistor to save a jumper, one can solder both sides of a resistor lead, and pick up a free "through" to the trace on the other side.

The traces for caps should be on the side you can reach with your iron. Accept this, you'll end up with elegant designs for home etching.

Please post you work. I'd like to eventually spread out these circuits to use bigger parts, I'll borrow your ideas.

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 3
syz: why not work with the meta42 files tangent published? http://tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/dfiles.html might be a good starting point for spreading out a mint
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back