Simple Question: X-Fi Line Out?
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

T.B.N.

100+ Head-Fier
I have an x-fi xtreme music, and I was wondering if there is a way to get line-out out of the card?

The head-phone out port would work, but it has volume control and Im assuming that means its not really at line-out voltage...

If I wanted to use an external amp for headphones with this card, how would I do it? Would I actually need a true line out?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Another quick question:
The DAC in the X-Fi is of pretty good quality, if I understand correctly, right?

Does the signal inevitably get worse running through the built-in headphone amp in the card? Is this the purpose of that mod? Any info would help a lot, thanks!

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 5
DAC on X-Fi is decent, and on Elite Pro quite good. But amplification is a weak link. The point of that mod is to improve it. Auzentech X-Fi Prelude already has that area covered, a good dac and good line-out amplification. You can check the X-Fi Hot Rodding thread for more info for this subject.

On a side note, quite a lot of external DACs have amplified outputs aswell. Mostly opamp based, but some discrete ones too? What is the point? Doesnt that degrade the soundquality before it reaches the actual external amplifier? IE weakest link in a chain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back