simple question involving musical tastes
Jul 25, 2003 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
Are there any forms of music (esp. classical, opera, world) that you try to enjoy but you simply can't? I ask this because I tried to introduce my father to classical music a few days ago, but much to my dismay, he could not find anything interesting about it. Bummer. If there are any of you, don't be afraid, I'm not here to ridicule you, but I could try to give you recommendations if you just tell me what you like to listen to.

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 36
That I try to enjoy...hmm...I'm betting I'd like some Opera as I enjoy elements of it in other music genres and one the biggest problems I have with Classical is the lack of singing/lyrics. 95% of the time I'd rather listen to a song with lyrics than an instrumental, therefore I don't find myself listening to classical much. What I've heard of Opera hasn't interested me much though.

Any suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 36
Hm...classical definitely, regular (if there is such a thing) jazz-I find I prefer a certain kind of jazz sound like St Germain, Roy Hargrove. Hm...kind of that more mellow rock, like Dave Matthews Band* and others like that.

*I have a problem with Dave Matthews Band specifically, but it doesn't have much to do with the band. I found the electronic group called Fila Brazilia which is pretty obscure and introduced the music to my friends, only to have one of them say "How the hell can you find obscure crap like this and not listen to Dave Matthews Band?" Well, I told him to go to hell and marry DMB if he's so obsessed. So there is that little issue with me and DMB.

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 36
I've given country the 'ol college try a number of times, but I just can't do it. Everytime I try, I want to grow a mullet, get some Budweiser, turn on NASCAR, and beat my wife and dog.
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I've given country the 'ol college try a number of times, but I just can't do it. Everytime I try, I want to grow a mullet, get some Budweiser, turn on NASCAR, and beat my wife and dog.
biggrin.gif

that's bad? hehe

Jul 25, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 36
Dont worry, it will all come to you in time. Eventually you will come to know rock and roll and pop music so well that you'll start to realise it limits and then, out of pure boredom and desperation, you'll start giving other genres a run for the money.

Frankly I'm still 90% a rock kind of guy (I'm also including in that folk rock, emo, ambient, trance and any of the hundred labels you can give to stuff that you can groove to). I enjoy a little dose of jazz now and then. A shot of classical. And, these days, 'vintage' country (who would have imagined?) So, I think in the end, you'll probaby be able to appreciate what all these genres have to offer - but you'll probably stick to what you love most at the moment.
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 36
I think it's has to do with openness. You have to be willing to except a new sonic idea. If you have already formed a negative opinion in your mind, then your ears will reject it no matter what.

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 36
i hate hate hate hate hate!!! any of this homginized new crap comming out of bands!!! the only things worth listening to that're new are video game soundtracks and some good ole techno.. and not that crappy kind... it has to be of the xpander kind.

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 36
I have tried classical a few times. I purchased two CDs but only liked the first one. I haven't really given up on the genre, just put it on the back burner for a while. I like the hard hitting fast big production pieces. Like the one they played in Apocalypse Now. I don't have much taste for the mellow slow stuff.

Jul 25, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
I think it's has to do with openness. You have to be willing to except a new sonic idea. If you have already formed a negative opinion in your mind, then your ears will reject it no matter what.

I agree that that is a first step. But I wonder if it's really worth it. Sometimes when people's minds are too open, they decide they like something before they understand it enough to really appreciate it. For example, my ex-gf used to have a playlist that included MP3s (ugh) of one or two movements of Mozart piano concertos as well as some African ethnic music and then 80s pop music (CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! DANCE TO THE MUSIC!). Needless to say, that pissed off this music snob. What's the point of forcing yourself to tolerate music just to tell others you listen to it? Too many people do it. Music is for enjoyment. If you don't enjoy some kind of music, that's okay. It's worth giving it a shot, but it's not worth torturing yourself over it or tricking yourself.

(rant this over is)

Quote:

the only things worth listening to that're new are video game soundtracks and some good ole techno.. and not that crappy kind... it has to be of the xpander kind.

Please excuse me while I go chop my own head off in the parking lot.

Jul 26, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

(CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! DANCE TO THE MUSIC!).

there is no genre that I can not listen to

I range from '50s to blues (my fave) to fusion jazz to hard rock (driving music) and all points in between

ok , other than new age which sounds like someone set the sequencer on loop and every fifteen minutes or so another knucklhead stopped in to add his (?) for a moment

but "GOOD TIME ! IT'S ALRIGHT "

yeah Dan , danced to that in the clubs at one time

blasted , lights in yer eyes , fine lookin' woman.........................

not a bad thing
very_evil_smiley.gif

actually went to see KC about three years ago

also not a bad thing (*nostalgia and all that)

sooooo

long st short

try G.F.Handel

Water Music

veeery relaxing until you find the layers

evil_smiley.gif

BTW - anyone ever hear of the band "Rare
Earth" ?

"IIIII,JUST WANTO CELEBRAAAATE" (another day of living)

And if so how many thought they were a black band ?

(along with early J.Giels with peter wolf , Tower of Power....wolfman jack
very_evil_smiley.gif
) not that it means squat , just funny how you visualize .................

cool.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I have tried classical a few times. I purchased two CDs but only liked the first one. I haven't really given up on the genre, just put it on the back burner for a while. I like the hard hitting fast big production pieces. Like the one they played in Apocalypse Now. I don't have much taste for the mellow slow stuff.

That's Wagner, Wagner kicks ass
biggrin.gif

You should get
Richard Wagner - Ring Without Words (Telarc)

Atfer that you will want to get more
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42 BTW - anyone ever hear of the band "Rare Earth" ?

"IIIII,JUST WANTO CELEBRAAAATE" (another day of living)

And if so how many thought they were a black band ?

(along with early J.Giels with peter wolf , Tower of Power....wolfman jack
very_evil_smiley.gif
) not that it means squat , just funny how you visualize .................

cool.gif

I listened to them back then and still do. I just got The Best of Rare Earth, The Millennium Collection (21:29 live version of Get Ready). Knew they were not a black band, along with seeing J. Geils Band and Tower of Power in concert.

BTW, I happen to like TDN (Three Dog Night).

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back