Simple question...about Grados
Mar 13, 2007 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tonym

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I've just sold my iGrado and want another pair (like I had before--SR60) for purely portable -- around the home -- iPod use.
Do I go for SR60, 80 or MS1.
I know I'll get various answers and I have done some searches but a few constructive replies to this dilemma would be nice
tongue.gif

I listen to mainly small group jazz and classical/chamber stuff with a bit of modern rock thrown in.
TIA

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 12
The only one I've actually listened to is the MS-1, but they do a great job with the music you primarily listen to.

For the smaller classical stuff they really shine. The soundstage isn't really big enough for the really big stuff.

Like I say; I haven't heard the SR-60 but I suspect that, as you have probably already read, you can imagine the MS-1 as being the less "fun" more neutral version of the same thing, with more subdued highs.

Not so much a "rock" can but somewhat more middle-of-the-road.

Very pleasant sounding in a Grado sort of way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 12
MS-1 for the choices the OP selected. Does nicely with classic rock too.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 12
That clarifies what I was thinking (plus the more reasonable prices involved for us UK based buyers).
I had the SR 60 a while back but only started using them towards the end of my tenure with them so didn't really get a feel of what they were capable of with the iPod hence the curiousity about them still; when I had the chance to grab some higher specced woodies, I needed the SR60s off my hands a.s.a.p.
Thanks all.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 12
I also would recommend the ms-1 over the sr-60 any day. The ms-1 is a class above the sr-60...as is mentioned in the many forums on them, ms-1's are really closer to sr-125 (some people, myself included think they actually OUTCLASS the sr-125's at that).

They are a great deal and a fantastic pair of cans

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1!

I luv your sig, eduj!

I was thinking, that if the Titanic telegraph guy was wearing MS2i, he'd be about the first one to the bottom!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 12
So are the MS1 'veiled' or just less 'strident' than the Grado equivalents (80~125)?

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are the MS1 'veiled' or just less 'strident' than the Grado equivalents (80~125)?

I haven't heard the MS1, but I can say that the SR80 definitely qualified as "strident" in my experience. Even after 50 hours or so of burn-in, I found them much too bright. Everything I've read on here makes me think the MS1 are less-so.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think you can call Alessandro phones veiled... they put slightly less emphasis on the highs THAN Grado phones, but still quite a bit more than phones often described as veiled (i.e. Senns)... I have SR-60 and MS2i and would rather say the SR-60 are in your face fun while the MS2i are more balanced and mature (and fit for more types of music as well)

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking, that if the Titanic telegraph guy was wearing MS2i, he'd be about the first one to the bottom!
very_evil_smiley.gif

too true
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back