Simple, low cost, HiFi network music streaming device
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #31 of 43
I tried to connect MK808B Android 4.1 (Blutooth version) with ODAC directly from the OTG port. The DAC is getting detected in the Audio out settings, but I am not getting any audio. The DAC is working fine when connected to a PC.

Did you get audio when ODAC is connected directly?

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #32 of 43
I plugged it directly into the USB port (not the OTG) on the MK808 and it works fine.. Make sure you set it to output to the DAC rather than to the HDMI port.

Also, I set it up with Netflix, HBO Go, NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME and Game Boy Advance emulators.  I modded a wireless Logitech Xbox controller receiver to have a normal USB plug and it works great for playing the games.  I also hooked up my wife's Slingbox and it streams pretty well (not quite HD for some reason.. I'm still troubleshooting that).  This player (with the slingbox) has essentially replaced everything connected to my TV, while also providing HiFi sound for music.  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #35 of 43
Just an FYI....there is a project over at logitech that really has some legs (utilizing wandboard and a custom daughter board developed by John S).  Looks to be a very nice wireless streamer.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested/page68

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:
Just an FYI....there is a project over at logitech that really has some legs (utilizing wandboard and a custom daughter board developed by John S).  Looks to be a very nice wireless streamer.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested/page68

Thanks. Interesting thread. I read about 10 pages towards the end of it.
Since this will/may be funded by community (i.e., more than a fun DIY project), please kindly comment:
what are the significant advantages of it over a hacked WDTV Live connected to an external optical DAC (and TV or screen)?

I can see a few points: 1) the new project may be 24/96/192 bit perfect; 2) it (if using Android) may have more app support; 3) possibly better processing power?

It is probably just my peculiar self: I am personally more interested in a headless portable streaming device. I have a decent device working (see the 4th link of my sig), although its UI and battery life leaves something to be desired.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #39 of 43
Just as an update:

It's still working great.  Sounds awesome, works very smoothly.  I ended up upgrading my remote app to Orange Squeeze, and I'm very happy with it.  It wasn't free, but it's worth the money for sure. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #40 of 43
Hi, I am late to the party on this one, but have a question.

It seems you end up with two devices, the MK808|DAC combo to play the music, and the Nook to act as a controller.

Can you think of any reason why you can't run the whole lot on a tablet that had a USB host or OTG port to plug the DAC into, and cut out the middle man?

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #42 of 43
You can run the whole thing on one device as long as you can power it while using usb otg

Thanks, that was my thoughts. Although I have perhaps moved on to something like this as my main concept:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Mounted-SqueezePlayer-with-Raspberry-Pi/?ALLSTEPS

With one of the hifi raspberry pi addon boards for the output.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #43 of 43
Re: Simple, low cost, HiFi network music streaming device

You say the DAC does all of the work.  I have a NuForce DDA-100 integrated that acts as its own DAC and will handle up to 24/96.  In fact, it performs the d-to-a at its output.  I am currently driving the amp with an Airport Express from iTunes and my PC with an optical cable, but I'd like to be able to play higher-rez files.  The DDA-100 has only digital inputs (coax, USB, and optical).  I am a digital novice, can I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back