simple desktop dac/amp setup
Jun 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cartr1dgebased

New Head-Fier
what i had in mind was:
dac option 1:http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401726275&sr=8-1&keywords=dac
dac option 2: http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401728144&sr=1-19&keywords=usb+dac
amp: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA400-4-Channel-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401725619&sr=8-2&keywords=headphone+amp

for the dac and amp that would run off my computer. i use mostly mp3 files and some FLAC. i just ordered a pair of siberia v2s to replace a broken pair of gaming headphones and realized i should of just gotten an ath-ad700x a stand alone mic and a good setup... so i'm going to do that too.

I will be using ath-M50s, ath-ad700x and an mbr-xb600. I would use this mostly for music, the ad700s for gaming and music. I like the amp as it has the multiple outs. Most amp/dac combos only have 1 out.

At some point I would like to add some decent bookshelf speakers to replace my 20$ logitech 2.1 audio setup and was wondering what steps I would have to take to make that work properly using this setup and if the amp is enough to drive $50-100 bookshelf speakers. hopefully it just a simple matter of wiring Also, I'm using onboard sound atm. I don't know in which way that could be an issue. I'm better informed on what sounds good rather than to how it sounds good it would seem. Would appreciate any advice from some true audiophiles.

Thanks for any responses or recommendations. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Headphone amps will not properly drive speakers. You either need powered speakers or passive speaker+speaker amp.

I don't know anything about that behringer amp. A lot of people tend to go for the FiiO E07K once you get up close to that price range.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 8
 Also, I'm using onboard sound atm. I don't know in which way that could be an issue.

When you plug the USB DAC into your computer, you install the new DAC and disable your on-board sound - the new DAC will then totally replace all the tasks of the previous sound-card and behave in almost the same way your on-board sound did. 
It's actually quite simple.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 8
3 things you need to know:

1. The Fiio you linked doesn't have USB input, so you won't be able to use it on a pc or laptop that doesn't have coaxial or optical output.
It will take digital audio from the coaxial or optical outputs of your soundcard, so your soundcard will still have to be used.  Where as USB DACs bypass your soundcard completely. No drivers installation required in both cases.

I'd take a USB DAC.

2. The Muse DAC you linked is USB, so that's good but it doesn't have enough power to drive speakers on its own. That's why it has RCA outputs so you can plug it to an amp. ($30 or $50 extra)
You can get a DAC that has a decent amp onboard to power speakers such as the SMSL SAD-25 for a little more money.

3. The Muse DAC is only 16bit vs the 24 bit of the fiio. If you listen to vinyl 24bit rips, you'll need a 24bit DAC. If you listen to common FLACs or MP3's then the 16Bit will do the job perfectly fine.

There you go, I hope I gave you enough info to make a decision.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 8
i decided to go with the fiio d3 and the behringer amp (only $60 for the two fo them) as i've read enough times that the d3 is a very good dac and the amp is very good itself and has 4 outs each with their own controls which is perfect for my situation as i do have optical out on this pc. the d3 has two outs so i will use the other out (down the road) to attach go through this amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AEN8RHDF7RKS6

to connect to these simple though well recieved speakers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This should address both my headphones and my speaker situation nicely on the college budget that im on

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Nice forums you have here as well.
Cheers

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 8
That behringer is kinda weird. A quarter-inch input? I don't think you see that very often on headphone amps. You're gonna need some special cables or adapters to make all that work together. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 8
  That behringer is kinda weird. A quarter-inch input? I don't think you see that very often on headphone amps. You're gonna need some special cables or adapters to make all that work together. 

i play guitar from time to time so i have plenty of 1/4 in adapters and ordered the few cables necessary to tie this thing together. thanks for your response.
most headsets i get have 1/4 adapters anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back