Simple BitTorrent Question
Feb 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
I've noticed that on torrented file descriptions it often says "Do not encode to a lossy format or sell this recording." I get why the second request, but why the first? Is it purely to prevent lossy files overwriting the lossless ones and becoming reintegrated into the torrent, is it for audiophile reasons, or is there another reason?

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
There was a discussion on the Music forum that was deleted yesterday for discussing BitTorrent........please take a look at this from the relevant sticky that is also posted at the top of this forum (the bold emphasis is mine):

Given the current climate, it would seem to be prudent not to discuss the following on this site:

1) peer-to-peer downloading

2) use of download-for-fee sites of known questionable legality

3) arguments about the legality of #'s 1 & 2

4) ways one might feign ignorance about the illegality of #'s 1 & 2

5) ways to defeat copy protection or DRM

6) any other potentially illegal or actionable means for obtaining music without actually paying for it.

While discussion of this sort this might seem harmless enough, my goal in posting this is to prevent this site from any unneeded and unwanted attention from anyone who might take an interest in such a discussion who happens to have attorneys on retainer. Therefore, discussions about any of these issues will be deleted.

This is not a decision that was made lightly, and it should not be treated as such. Please do us all a favor and avoid such discussion altogether. Thanks....

We're being provided a wonderful forum by Jude and others, so it seems as if this is a simple and direct request from them that we should all follow.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Sorry about that. More an etiquette question rather than a "how do I ..?" question or "Go here to ..." announcement, but I take your point.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 5
This has got nothing to do with P2P... edit the title and you're set.

You don't provide any context but I assume you got this from traders. Traders rightly want(ed) to keep lossy copies out of circulation (when there was no such thing as the live music archive). You can see why they worried about it when you look at the "lossless" copies converted from lossy ones for example.

There's nothing wrong with converting the copy to lossy as such... they'd just like you to keep a lossless copy around and trade that. If you're not going to trade (for example because it's in the live music archive anyway), there's no point in respecting this instruction.

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the response ... that's sort of what I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back