Simple battery powered speaker amp?
Feb 19, 2007 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to build a simple amp to drive a simple 8ohm speaker housed in a small box, for very casual listening from an iPod. The considerations are that it's cheap, small, and battery powered.

I researched turning a CMoy into such a beast, but in an old thread AMB pointed out that you may as well start with a speaker amp design. Anyone know of a place to start? I've looked at Gainclones but their power requirements tend to be higher than 2xAA.

Thanks for any pointers.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Umm... T-Amp?
tongue.gif

SLA batteries might be too big for you but just one 12V goes great with a T-Amp.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 6
This is what tripath chips are *for. So, yes, the T-Amp is a good way to go.

Just for kicks, and since we discussed the lm317 as an audio amp recently, another possibility is the TL431 shunt regulator:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/audioamps.html#TL431

Yes, a single TO92 part can drive a speaker. You probably want a higher value output cap than the schematic suggests, though. 2200uf for good bass response.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Oh, SLA battery is way too big. The box itself is about 4" cubed. I am thinking 2 to 4 AA's to power, since I can barely squeeze in a 4AA holder. I suppose I can DC-DC boost to whatever operating voltage is, but would prefer not having to worry about power supply side too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back