Simpl A1... I've got some suspicions. Anyone else?
Dec 4, 2004 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm rather suspicious of this device.

I don't know why, but I am. I just think, it smells fishy especially for the price. I mean, maybe it's like a cmoy-level amp, but still... I'd like to hear impressions about it from other head-fi'ers, and maybe when someone gets ahold of one, lemme hear about it. =P

Not that I really care one way or the other... the Mini is too small for this amp to attach to it, and I prefer my portable setup to be as small and lightweight as possible.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Well I should be getting one of these units for Christmas and I will be hooking my new HD595's up to it and I will let you know in a full review how it goes by early next month.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 9
No prob.
cool.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, we'll have to take the impressions with a grain of salt, since you haven't had much experience in headphone amps or headphone audio in general. The question isn't really if the A1 sounds good, but if it's comparable to other well-known amps in the price range. Not to mention versatility w/ other phones. If I went from no amp to a cmoy, I'd probably think it sounded great. But I'd have no idea what the true value of that improvement is since I'd had little or no prior experience in the field of h. amps. Hypotheically, if the amp were worth only a $50 increase in sound, then it would be a bad value.

I'm sorry if I sound like a d**k, just being honest.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 9
I wish I could audition one without buying it. I've heard several different amps, from my pimeta to a PPA, several cmoys I've built, a Headsave Go-Vibe and an MG Head (which I liked a good deal), a millet hybrid (which I liked enough to want to build one now =P) and some other tube amp that I forgot the name of.

So I consider myself a headamp novice, but certainly not a headamp noob. =P

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I wish I could audition one without buying it. I've heard several different amps, from my pimeta to a PPA, several cmoys I've built, a Headsave Go-Vibe and an MG Head (which I liked a good deal), a millet hybrid (which I liked enough to want to build one now =P) and some other tube amp that I forgot the name of.

So I consider myself a headamp novice, but certainly not a headamp noob. =P

Actually I was referring to the other guy, you seem fairly weathered in the amp dept.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Well, we'll have to take the impressions with a grain of salt, since you haven't had much experience in headphone amps or headphone audio in general. The question isn't really if the A1 sounds good, but if it's comparable to other well-known amps in the price range. Not to mention versatility w/ other phones. If I went from no amp to a cmoy, I'd probably think it sounded great. But I'd have no idea what the true value of that improvement is since I'd had little or no prior experience in the field of h. amps. Hypotheically, if the amp were worth only a $50 increase in sound, then it would be a bad value.

I'm sorry if I sound like a d**k, just being honest.

Are you kidding me? I have over 25 years in the music business! Kiss my ass!

Just kidding... yeah its cool bro. I totally hear where you are comin from and you are right. I will let you know what I think of the unit once I get it anyway.
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 9
We all have to start somewhere and all opinions should be welcome.

If for example you thoght the difference with/without the amp were night versus day then several would find that of interest.

It may however get you further into head amps and injure your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back