Simpl A1 amp with iPod case
Jan 21, 2005 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dave_pass

New Head-Fier
Thought I'd post a few pictures of my iPod setup. I decided to give the Simpl A1 amp a spin and I'm quite happy with it. The only other portable amp I've owned was a SuperDual (briefly) so I'm no expert.

I'm using the 4G 40GB iPod and did my listening tests using songs encoded with the Apple Lossless codec. Headphones used were Sony MDR-7506 and Bose QC2 (I know, I know, but for me they're still the most comfortable noise cancelling headphones with decent sound for long flights).

With this amp you can leave the iPod vol at about 50% which saves battery life, and to me the base is definitely improved as well as the overall crispness of the sound. In fact, for the first time I noticed the iPod 4G 'audio defect' that is much discussed over at ipodlounge.com.

I cut 2 slits in a Speck 4G case using a razor blade and the Simpl amp fits nicely into place. I admit I ruined one case in the process, but progress doesn't come without a price.

Dave

cimg00584hd.jpg

cimg00646wy.jpg

cimg00662zw.jpg

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 7
i wonder how many 4G owners are living in unbuzzy bliss until something with higher resolution reveals the buzz. my friend was driven gaga over the buzz of his 4G thru Etys - until he got the sik din line out (no buzz) and now he's happy using that to get the tunes out - well now that he has a supermono to handle that line out signal.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 7
is that what the buzz is!? this was driving me INSANE
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
when listening to it with my shure e2c i kept hearing the "buzz" no matter what song was playing! i guess a sik din is on my want list now
biggrin.gif

p.s. - sry for taking your thread OT but i really appricate this information!

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 7
I haven't heard about this 4g audio defect.
Guess I should visit the ipid lounge before I buy one
for myself.
From what you guys say, it is a buzz in the headphone output. I that correct?
Is it only from the headphone output? I didn't hear it in my daughters
ipod. She tells me sometimes it clicks at her when she it is not "happy".
Are they all so inflicted? Does it only effect low impedance cans?
When I get my portable corda amp I'll give her ipod a listen with
my senn650.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 7
some of the earlier versions of the pocketdock picked up the buzz too. but the sik din never did, so i'd stick with that.

the buzz is well documented here and other sites - i think it's due to something inside being in contact with the metal housing - whatever it is, it's definitely audible, like a whinewhirrbuzz thing when the hard drive spins. it's only for the 4G - thank god my 3G doesn't have that affliction. my friend refuses to play 4G roulette and keep returning his until he gets a non-buzzy one, too much hassle - he just never uses the headphone out (or the old pocketdock) anymore. long live sik din!

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 7
For me the defect is only audible at the start of each song. It lasts for about 3 seconds then the song plays normally.

I didn't notice it before I added the amp but now it's very clear. Not sure if it's annoying enough to return the iPod, but I think I'm gonna take it to the local apple store (bought it at amazon.com), demand a new one, and try my hand at 4G roulette (apparently only some percentage of them have the defect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back