Similar upgrade from FiiO X3 mk1?
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vicx

New Head-Fier
I've been using the FiiO X3 mk1 for years, upgraded to the mk3 but hated the lack of bass and warmth so had to go back to my old mk1. I've had an accident and squished it (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/repairing-fiio-x3-mk1-screen-case-jack.896154/) so asked FiiO for some replacement parts but if it turns out to be too expensive I may be better off upgrading, but I have no idea what to upgrade from as the MK3 was so disappointing but seemed like the most logical upgrade.

It'd be nice to have something with a decent UI and bluetooth, that's what I dislike about my mk1. Any suggestions on what to go with next?

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Sooo I'm guessing your budget is around $200 if you want an X3 replacement. So you like the OG X3 which used WM8740 Dac and AD8397 Amp chip inside, I can see why you had a liking for it, not so common parts these days, everyone using meh TI chips instead of imo better balanced AD counterparts. And your also out of luck on the Dac chip, pretty much only the first gen of daps used it from AK, ibasso, fiio etc.

Will be hard to find a similar sound in a modern dap. The other thing you have to understand is that the OG X3 is Low-Fi these days, what I'm saying it that modern daps will be portraying more detail, and you may not even like that because it takes away from the warmth. So I would actually suggest trying one of these Walnut's: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...lgo_pvid=9978ab37-285e-4451-9912-71677b8ef483

No UI, but it will sound big, powerful and warm, you might even like it more than the X3 and it's cheap. The even cooler part is you can change the stock opamp to whatever you want, even AD8397 :) If you go for pricier daps they will usually be more detailed and balanced these days, less like your X3. But if you want something not soo cheap looking then maybe xduoo x3ii or Cowon Plenue D.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't mind spending a little more, I just want something that sounds as warm and bassy as the X3 mk1 but after the mk3 it made me realise maybe this type of sound isn't common anymore so I don't know where to begin.

I was looking at the X7 as I heard that was similar, what do you think?

I checked the Walnut but I really need a UI, otherwise I may as use my broken X3 as it still works but without a screen (Fiio say they don't stock these screens anymore so I'm screwed).

I was thinking of the Plendue D for months but decided not to as there's no BT so didn't warrant an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards the xduoo x3ii for now, apparently it sounds better than the X3 mk1, but still open to suggestions in case there's something better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back