Similar to Led Zeppelin?
Jan 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! I never knew that!

Cool.

Neither did I!! Checkin it out.

BTW Pandora restricted to USA IP's and proxies only ATM. I'm in India and cannot join; some licensing issue.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #32 of 40
Hello,
I've been into Led Zep. forever, started in 1973-1974 and love them now!
There really is no band like them. Mainly because Zep was made-up of all superstars. I would just get into all there stuff thats out there. The CD box set has almost all of them. Theres the LP of The Song Remains the Same. Then the remastered Cd (which is way different.) that just came out. Most of the LPs are out there as they sold 1000,000s. There have been rooms of bootlegs which I've seen over the years. Some I heard had great sound some did not. What alot of younger people don't
realize is thet Zep was all most of us ever really played at parties threw-out the 70s and into the early 80s. There live shows were the biggest and most talked about. Now it seems silly but Art Class was filled with kids painting pictures of Jimmy's Double SG. I don't know if you could ever call them metal but they did take us from blues to hard rock threw-out there stint.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #33 of 40
I have an album called Led Zeppelin's Source of Inspiration. It's all blues music.

In art class in the '70's I painted pictures of Bowie and T.Rex and not Zeppelin. Zeppelin was for all the me-toos as far as I was concerned.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully I'm not encroaching on fanboy territory here, but in my opinion Pandora seems to be smarter at figuring out what I want to hear. I love Last.fm for scobbling and keeping track of my listening trends, but I turn to Pandora when I want to hear a variety of music similar to a particular song or artist. With Pandora you just go to the site and in about 5 seconds there is music playing.

P.S. There is nothing like zeppelin. If you want to hear Plant's voice get his solo albums (but they're not very zeppelin-ish.)

Oh I will check it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 40
older:

Cream
Blue Cheer
The Faces

newer:

Wolfmother (as stated above)
Secret Machines
Queens of the Stone Age (and if you like QOTSA [if they are sufficiently Zep-like], you may like a lot of "stoner rock", although that's a little more Sabbath than Zep - bands like Sleep, Fu Manchu, High on Fire etc.)

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #37 of 40
Haha, I read Buddha's comment and went "Rose Hill Drive?! I know their drummer!" and what do you know, it's another Boulderite. Were you at their New Year's show?

On topic, I don't really think that QOTSA is comparable to Led Zep, but you should check them out regardless. And as I think that it's already been established that Led Zeppelin doesn't really have any bands that sound similar, you may want to check out some neo-blues like The Black Keys.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #38 of 40
I would say Gov't Mule maybe.. they cover a lot of Zeppelin tunes and do a pretty good job of it imho. I guess they're similar to Zeppelin in the sense that a lot of their songs are rooted in blues, they improvise and stretch their songs out live, and it's really heavy rock music. They always sounded like a classic rock band to me..

I agree QOTSA doesn't sound much like Zeppelin but I think a lot of Zeppelin fans would like their music.. Black Keys are pretty good too.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither did I!! Checkin it out.

BTW Pandora restricted to USA IP's and proxies only ATM. I'm in India and cannot join; some licensing issue.

I'm in Canada and they won't even let me join. I used to have a membership because they used to require just a valid U.S. postal code so just looked one up and gave them that. Now they go by IP address so they canceled my account on me. Now I use last.fim instead.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know that you are really expanding your taste if you are searching for bands that sound similar to another band that you already listen to.

Extremely well put! Quote of the week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back