Similar sounding to Rodrigo Y Gabriella
May 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
Any fans out there?  I got hooked on them after I saw them perform "Stairway to Heaven" on youtube.  I am also in the lookout for similar sounding artists.  Any recommendations?

May 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 6
I've got both of their albums. They are absolutely amazing. They make the acoustic guitar do things I didn't think it could do, and the hand percussion on the guitars adds a mesmerising element to their sound. The did an NPR Tiny Desk Concert a while ago.

May 22, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Both their albums?  They have six out I think.
Live in Japan
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
This is Rod and Gab
11:11
RE-Foc
Live Manchester and Dublin

I have the first four listed and all are fantastic.  If you are hooked on Rod and Gab then Tommy Emmanuel -Endless Road will hit the spot.

Not quite the same, but very good accoustic guitar.  Unless you are looking for a more flamenco flavour and then I am not the best one to recommend as Rod and Gab is about as far Flamenco as I go.

May 22, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Both their albums?  They have six out I think.
Live in Japan
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
This is Rod and Gab
11:11
RE-Foc
Live Manchester and Dublin

I have the first four listed and all are fantastic.  If you are hooked on Rod and Gab then Tommy Emmanuel -Endless Road will hit the spot.

Not quite the same, but very good accoustic guitar.  Unless you are looking for a more flamenco flavour and then I am not the best one to recommend as Rod and Gab is about as far Flamenco as I go.

I honestly didn't know their discography as well as I should have. I have Rodrigo y Gabriela  and I have 11:11, but I didn't realize they had other records out!! I will track down their other stuff, I promise!

May 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Very nice!

The following are some artists who come to mind as being upstream from them. May do both electric and acoustic, so you'll have to decide which you want to listen to (first):

Ralph Towner
Joe Pass
Larry Coryell
John McLaughlin
Paco DeLucia
Phillippe Catherine
Grant Green
James Montgomery
Pat Martino

... and many more Jazz acoustic players

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread