Similar sound to KEF M500 in over-the-ear phones with deep ear cups?
Dec 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PointItZoomIt

New Head-Fier
Hi. I like the sound of the M500s. People with more expertise than me say they're very neutral, with a lot of detail and clarity. Most find them extremely comfortable as well, and in the my quick test they seemed fine.

Please suggest other headphones to have a look at if I'd like...

Have to have:
  1. Sound - more or less neutral (a bit v-shape would be OK I guess) sound with a lot of detail and clarity. No harsh highs.
  2. Comfort - KEF M500s are probably the least clamping, most comfortable on-the-ear headphones. Ideally, I'd like over-the-ear phones with deep ear cups that swivel in all directions.
  3. Quality - none of that "my $300 headphones have cheap plastic that cracks with normal use".

Nice to have:
  1. Isolation - if they can be closed-back, that'd be great.
  2. Overall size - if they can be lightweight and not huge, that's a plus.

Budget is about $350 but that's flexible, as I'd like one good pair. I'll consider dac/amp as well, but I'd prefer a pair that doesn't really need them.

Tried and did not like the sound for various reasons:
Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD 598, Sennheiser HD 449, Bose AE2, Klipsch Image ONE II.

Tried and liked the sound:
KEF M500 - current top choice, despite the wa
KRK KNS 8400 - Liked them, but would prefer less bass and a bit less highs. Ear cups not deep enough.
AKG Q701 - sounds seemed OK, but didn't give a good listen because they weren't comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

On my to research list, in case anyone wants to comment:

Beyerdynamic T50p / T51p - on the ear
Beyerdynamic T 70p - $570 (Canadian) is on the high side - is it worth it?
beyerdynamic Custom ONE PRO - not that clear?
AKG K550 / K551 - size/comfort?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Hmm. M500 are pretty interesting when it comes to sound sig. Fellows at Audio Lab and I agreed that it was one of the more unique sounding hps when I was at their store. But, variants(modded) of the famous Fostex T50RP sound quite close to the M500. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, so you're saying they might not even be that neutral after all? Interesting.

Any other suggestions for a neutral-ish, clear and detailed sound in over-the-ear phones with deep ear cups that swivel in all directions?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, so you're saying they might not even be that neutral after all? Interesting.

Any other suggestions for a neutral-ish, clear and detailed sound in over-the-ear phones with deep ear cups that swivel in all directions?
No no. They are rather neutral. It's unique because not that many closed backs sound that neutral. Hmm SRH940 is bit bright, but has clear and detailed sound as well as swiverling cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back