Similar IEMS to the Klipsch x12i's in comfort and sound quality
Dec 8, 2016 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Shoebappa

New Head-Fier
Hello, I recently purchased some Klipsch x12i's on eBay for around $220 and got a box that had already been opened. Long story short I'm sending them back because I paid for a new in box item. I already looked for threads where I could compare the X12i's to any other headphones but could only find the x20i review on Head-fi, or a review that didn't start with "I'm not an audiophile and therefore have no frame of reference, but these are the best IEMs I've ever heard".

That aside, I really like how comfortable and insanely small/virtually weightless these earbuds are, am very impressed with the sound quality from my Fiio E07k portable amp and my Ibasso D4 Mamba DAC and also love the generous soundstage, forward mids, relatively low impedance and more than ample bass for my liking. 

the x12i's have a
  1. KG-926 Full Range Balanced Armature Driver
  2. Featherweight (15 grams)
  3. Milled Aluminum Chassis
  4. Patented Oval Ear Tips (4 Different Sizes)
  5. Three-Button Remote + Mic (doesn't work on my Note 3 phone hardly at all, but evidently it's made for Apple products only...)

I currently own some Audiotechnica ATH-A700s, Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, and Hifiman Re-0 headphones that I'm comparing them to, as well as my fond memories of my Beyerdynamic DT 1350s which were sadly stolen last year. For me, portability and longtime comfort are the most important features of an IEM aside from the overall sound quality. I am a professional musician and teacher currently working on my Masters degree at the Eastman School of Music in viola, violin and string pedagogy and have very high standards for what sounds good, especially since my viola and bows cost $30,000. The reason I'm going for IEM's is so that I can easily travel with them as well as use them in the car on long car trips comfortably and inconspicuously as late at night I prefer using really nice earbuds when I'm driving by myself because they actually sound better and cut down road noise much better than by blasting my car stereo for more than ten hours. I primarily listen to classical, vocal, rock, electronic, Baroque, indie, and do a substantial amount of recording for my music career, so balanced, comfortable reference headphones that are still fun to listen to are my end goal. 

My price range is $200-$300 and I have also tried Sennheiser IE80s, which I loved but I can't seem to find a pair online under $270 that are not fake.

Thank you in advance! I love this community, reading all the posts, and hearing what everyone has to say, so please help me out if you have any suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back