Silverstone EB01 - Reminded (AGAIN) that it's a Surprisingly good USB DAC
Jun 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK, so I've had this DAC for a while now. I used it for a while as a work rig source, and then as the DAC for one of my computers (not necessarily the one I use for computer audio). I've often got more DACs than I know what to do with, and this one somehow got lost in the shuffle.

Then, about two months ago, I plugged it into my Mac Mini as a stop-gap for computer audio in my den. I had sent my Wadia 830 in for mods, and wanted something back there to listen to...and the Silverstone EB01 happened to be handly. It was feeding a Fisher 500C amp, and Polk Monitor 40 speakers, and whatever cans I happened to plug into the Fisher (which, by the way, has a damn nice headphone section that is fed directly by the main amplifier section).

Well, I'd always liked this humble DAC (it can be purchased for $90.00 on NewEgg), but for some reason I keep forgetting why. Fact is, it sounds pretty good. It's a little rolled off on the high end, and it doesn't provide anything close to skull-cracking bass to be sure. Having said that, it does a very nice job on the whole, and is one of the real values in computer audio that I've ever come accross. It presents in a nice, neutral way...the midrange is very well done. It doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, but it's solid, and a nice listen.

What about the rest of y'all?

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi,

I'm actually considering purchasing this DAC for a bedroom headphone rig. I'm also considering the Project USB Box.

Do you have any first ahnd experience about how the EB-01 compare to other PCM2702 based DACs?

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Ooh, I missed this post. I was considering something in this price range and pulled the trigger on the Pro-ject usb box. I dont regret it and am sure will be satisfied by it but one more option could have been better.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 8
The Silverstone EB-01 is indeed a very nice sounding DAC and at under $100 a very good deal indeed. I guess not many here buy it since it is not an expensive/flashy unit plus it has been out for a while. To put it bluntly it is not given due credit by what could be considered snobbish behavior. But IMO it does a lot very well w/ no glaring faults.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 8
I just took delivery of an interesting product - the Silverstone EB02 amp. I'll have to let everyone know how it does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo (emphasis mine) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Silverstone EB-01 is indeed a very nice sounding DAC and at under $100 a very good deal indeed. I guess not many here buy it since it is not an expensive/flashy unit plus it has been out for a while. To put it bluntly it is not given due credit by what could be considered snobbish behavior. But IMO it does a lot very well w/ no glaring faults.

Yes, I agree. One of the better buys out there in an inexpensive DAC. I agree that it's snobbishness on MY part that has me setting it aside for other choices. It does a very nice job, particularly when one considers it's low cost.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by New2TheScene /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm actually considering purchasing this DAC for a bedroom headphone rig. I'm also considering the Project USB Box.

Do you have any first ahnd experience about how the EB-01 compare to other PCM2702 based DACs?

Not that I'm aware of. Most of my experience with DAC's tends towards the higher end.
frown.gif

I think it would make a nice DAC for a reasonably priced bedroom rig. It presents detail well, and is an enjoyable listen - especially if one isn't using it to listen critically to high end gear. It's not going to replace my Wadia, but it's a nice product for a certain use.

BTW - Your bedroom rig has a computer? This is a USB-only DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back