silver wire
Apr 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Fin1211

100+ Head-Fier
hey everyone-one more question for all the amazin people here...haha i just needed to say it. ok. so i will be purchasing 16 feet of 28awg 5n silver and have found the best prices on partsconnexion.com-i was just wondering whether getting silver cable with a silk insulation is worth the extra price vs the silver with the cotton insulation. thanks!
Fin

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 32
Yeah, i know. I was just wondering, because im assuming you use it, does it affect the sq at all? im just looking for a bit crisper and clearer sound. thanks-by the way-silk or cotton?

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 32
I'm thinking of building some copper and silver blend cables and sell um on here for a cheep price so that website really helped THANKS!!!

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 32
I just use teflon, but you can get whateer you want.  Just be sure to have a friend switch out cables behind your back when you're testing.  otherwise it's hard to evaluate sound..

I have just been wondering whether the insulation can really make a difference in sound...anyone have any idea? i know this has somethin to do with the dielectric constant

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 32
uah.... apparently I didn't post my helpful bit sorry about that. IMO Teflon=cotton=silk, trying about two hundred different interconnects I couldn't hear a difference with the different shielding and cables. BUT!!! Soldering will make a difference, if you can find some silver solder and solder the plug with that, then go over it with some steal*so it wont oxides* it will make all the difference. A soldering sandwich if you will Driver/Silver/wire/steal

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 32
uah.... apparently I didn't post my helpful bit sorry about that. IMO Teflon=cotton=silk, trying about two hundred different interconnects I couldn't hear a difference with the different shielding and cables. BUT!!! Soldering will make a difference, if you can find some silver solder and solder the plug with that, then go over it with some steal*so it wont oxides* it will make all the difference. A soldering sandwich if you will Driver/Silver/wire/steal

haha sorry didnt quite catch the fact that you were referring to me when you were thanking the site...i thought you were thanking headfi(which deserves it much more!). yeah i have got some cardas quad eutectic, but how do you put steal over it?

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 32
all you have to do is make some cables using OFC and silver, with the same configuration. If they sound the same to you, congredulations, you just save yourself a lot of $$ !  Time to quit audio at together
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 32
all you have to do is make some cables using OFC and silver, with the same configuration. If they sound the same to you, congredulations, you just save yourself a lot of $$ !  Time to quit audio at together
biggrin.gif

QUIT AUDIO? AHH? no. yeah i was thinking about that-the ground would not matter...can anyone else confirm this?

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 32
Ok. so im down to two options now-either get 16 feet(4x4)of 28awg silver insulated with cotton for $40 or 8 feet(4x2)of 28awg silver insulated with SILK for the signal and 8 feet of 28awg copper insulated with cotton for the ground, for exactly the same price of $40. which will bring better sound?

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 32
Like I said solder the wire to the driver with silver, then solder some steel or metal the wont oxidize over the silver solder.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 32
But do you understand what I'm saying? Like the process of using the silver solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back