silver jews - american water
May 6, 2008 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ajstre24

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I've just started getting into the silver jews and i really love the american water album. Im looking to expand my music library, any recommendations you can give me similar to this album?

May 6, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 7
great album. Starlite walker is probably my favorite, if you are not aware, the silver jews was kind of a side project with a couple pavement guys, check out Pavement, and Steve Malkmus. Pavement is the best though, Probably the single most influential band in my musical life, and they had some great influences too.

May 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 7
Yea, classic record, one of my favorites. It has a timeless quality that is really nice. Very good recording too. Kind of walks a tightrope in some respects, the quirky lyrics, country feel, Malkmus' great guitar interplay and backup vocals, Berman's delivery, just all works to near perfection. Like when Pavement was really on.

Wilco has had times like that, never a record with that overall feel though. Maybe Giant Sand's "Chore of Enchantment" comes close. Or that OP8 "Slush" CD with Giant Sand/Calexico and Lisa Germano. Or the Mekons "Journey to the Edge of the Night" from about the same time. Califone's "Roomsound" has more of a bluesy fractured folk sound, but has some of that countrified quirkiness. Maybe try a bit of Tindersticks? My favorite is "II". Both share some of that mix of Johnny Cash and Nick Cave in their sound. A little darker, and a bit more traditional in its southern gothic folk sound, but the Sixteen Horsepower "Folklore" is an incredible record. Radar Bros. "And the Surrounding Mountains" is very cool, though admittedly more of a Neil Young meets Pink Floyd sound. Still, some very strange and morbid tales to tell. I really love the Willard Grant Conspiracy "Regard the End" too. Another dark one. Will Olham has a few good ones, but I'm partial to "Viva Last Blues" under the Palace name, nice Albini recording. He also did a cool one with David Pajo of Slint under the Papa M name called "Whatever, Mortal". Not sure if any of this helps, but just wanted to say what a nice record that is
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 7
wow, you gave me a lot to work with! thanks ill definitley check some of that out. I havent heard of any of those bands except calexico, i love checking out new music

May 7, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstre24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, you gave me a lot to work with! thanks ill definitley check some of that out. I havent heard of any of those bands except calexico, i love checking out new music

Here's a little something else ... Richard Buckner - Ariel Ramirez.flac

May 8, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 7
"Honk if You're Lonely Tonight" is, for a reason I've never been able to identify, one of my favorite songs.

I love this album, best way I've ever been able to describe the album is that its an album full of music done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back