Silver-Gold Interconnect Turns iPod into High-End Source?
Feb 21, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #46 of 50
A power conditioner isn't going to improve sound... it will improve performance. If you are in an area with frequent lightning strikes, or areas where momentary brownouts are common, a power conditioner is necessary. If you're in a normal urban environment, it's a waste of money.

See ya
Steve

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 50
Even electrical engineers I work with agree that regenerated balanced AC does indeed measurably improve the performance of audio devices (regardless of the area where one lives, though the performance increases are more noticeable in urban areas with distributed power); they also agree that such improvements would be audible under the right circumstances (with resolving gear and well-trained ears listening to familiar, well-recorded music).

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
A power conditioner isn't going to improve sound... it will improve performance. If you are in an area with frequent lightning strikes, or areas where momentary brownouts are common, a power conditioner is necessary. If you're in a normal urban environment, it's a waste of money.

See ya
Steve

This is wrong. I don't want to get back into this thread, but do feel an obligation to rebut categorical statments like this that reflect one person's dogmatic point of view, and that are just not correct.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #49 of 50
I agree that with components that have any analog circuits in them (and almost everything does, somewhere), conditioned power can make an audible difference, which is even likely to be an improvement. Unless your normal power is just horrible (eg brownouts, etc) the difference is likely to be somewhere between slight and non-existent, but there is a real scientific basis for improvement at this level. A proper power conditioner CAN make up for many of the weak links in the power chain. Digital circuits can also behave badly if afflicted with a VERY poor power source.

That said, power conditioning is not something I would normally spend huge sums of money on, but I do believe in at least surge suppression just to increase the life of the equipment.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #50 of 50
If I had the money I would get a electrician to setup lots of high capacity 12v batteries totalled up 240v, and then run my Hi-Fi & HT systems...constantly charging and also powering the audio systems.

Stable DC mains power :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back