silver "coated" copper,best or worst?
Mar 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #106 of 108
Just an update on my internal wiring and i/cs.

I've still only put about 60/70 hours on the internal wiring and about 80/90 hours on the incoming i/cs.

I still can't get over how enjoyable it is to switch on, wait a half hour and then hit the play switch on the CDP - the immmediate involvement, the dynamics and I should have got used to what REAL bass is all about.

I've had the Mundorf silver/gold wire in my posession for over two weeks now but have no real inclination to change out the silver/plated copper - because the sound is so good.

I repeat again I don't care what wire 'floats your boat' - you cannot hear what it really sounds like without using an air dialectric, sheilded wire inside your amp.

I bought a pair of I/cs using Furutech u-P2.1 balanced wire with CMC Red Copper plugs - silver/plated stranded 4N copper - very nice precise sound, lots of space but compared to my air dialectric sat. cables - no air, no reall dynamics and certainly not organic. This wire costs over $42 per metre and is the best commercial sound I have heard but no comparison.

Why is it that all the commercial companies hav'nt found out how to uprate their equipment by using air dialectric signal wiring inside their amps. This is not an expensive move to make - does make you wonder though - or maybe the've all been programmed at college - wire does'nt make a difference.

There is a such a big difference between wrapped wire and bare wire that I from real world experiments I am prepared to say that the majority of the signal is carried at or near the surface of the conductor - nothing else can explain this - take the theory and shove it - it does'nt hold up in practice.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #108 of 108
mark_h,
I've lost count of the number of times that so many on all forums bandy the word 'objective' about.

The observer is always a part of the experiment, ergo 'subjective'.

So what is your point - do you actually experiment with cables yourself - you don't say, so no one knows where your coming from, what your experience is, do come back on this.

I decided to carry out two experiments at once (1) replacing the SPC with the 6N silver wire and to use it unsheilded.

I've put in a good few hours with this wire in unsheilded form and whilst it is improving and micro detail especially on voices is a slight improvement on the SPC, it just does'nt have the impact, the organic emotion and life of the SPC.

So now I have to try it in sheilded form.

What has been rubber stamped is the control that the amp wiring has over the sound as a whole. I have to state again forget about auditioning i/cs until you have this sorted - no way am I hearing SPC i/cs, which is what I have continued to use - all very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back