Silly Question
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
It seems to me that most portable headphone amps have a bit of a design flaw. Almost every portable amp that I have encountered requires you to run your cable from your source and over the top of the amp's chassis, which leaves you with a big loop of cable jutting out from the front/back of the stacked amp/source.

Why hasn't anyone designed an amp that has the input jack on the top of the amp versus the front or back panel? If you took two right angle plugs and rotated one of them 90 degrees so it would plug right into the top of the amp, you would have a very tidy little package.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I agree with what you're saying, it does become messy just because of the cable loop.
I suspect that amps aren't designed with the jacks on top because it's harder. Most of the cases used are pretty standard types and it's a bit troublesome to work and make a hole on the top I think. Also, the way the PCB typically fits in in portable amps doesn't lend itself too well to having the input jack anywhere but the front or back of the case it seems.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the amp in my back pocket and my player in the front pocket, so it's not a flaw for me to have both jacks on the front. I want it that way. BTW, there are other players than iPod.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 10
The reason for having everything on the front panel is so that you could actually put the amp in your pocket (or a bag) and all the cables will come out of the open end.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this the other day... I wouldnt reccomend it but it is a interesting idea/concept.

How To Make a Tiny Interconnect

That is pretty nifty.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 10
The tiny interconnect would solve a few problems (and it is pretty cool looking), but I envisioned an amp where the interconnect would lay almost flush on the top of the amp.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for having everything on the front panel is so that you could actually put the amp in your pocket (or a bag) and all the cables will come out of the open end.

Also, I believe that the key reason that the input is on the front or back and not the top is because most people will stack the player on top of the amp. The variance in size from one player to another as well as the position of the line-out would preclude the design of an amp with a port on top that will accommodate all players. If the MP3 player is longer or wider than the amp, it simply would not fit.
I also agree with amb that ports on the ends make it much easier to tie the units together and stick it in your pocket. You could, of course, always save some space by using L-shaped connectors.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this the other day... I wouldnt reccomend it but it is a interesting idea/concept.

How To Make a Tiny Interconnect

I think that thing was at the head-fi meet here in omaha. This one anyway...

microic-19.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back