Silicone impressions (shelf life?)
Jun 20, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tucker71

100+ Head-Fier
How long do silicone impressions "last"?

I have a set that were made almost 2 years ago. Since then, they've been sitting in a ziplock baggie inside a small cardboard box.

Does anyone know if they shrink or change over time. They feel exactly like they did the day I brought them home and I haven't subjected them to extreme heat, cold, or light.

They were 80 bucks. I'd hate to have to throw them away. Then again...why get new ones made if these are perfectly fine?

Anyone?

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
Silicone impressions start to distort after 2 weeks.

Cripes!
Is that true?

I thought that some IEM manufacturers keep their customers impressions for a while in case they need to be remade or whatever.

Oh well....guess I'll get 'em re-done. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
Cripes!
Is that true?

I thought that some IEM manufacturers keep their customers impressions for a while in case they need to be remade or whatever.

Oh well....guess I'll get 'em re-done. Thanks.

Dentists never keep their silicone impressions for more than 2 weeks; the impressions do start to change their dimensions after this period. While IEM impressions might not demand the same level of accuracy, 2 years are just way too long a time.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 10
I wonder if you can ask your dentist to take the impression for you when you have your regular check up. He or she might do it for you for free!

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 10
The dimension change over 2 weeks are some hundreths of a milimeter, which is decisive for the exact fit of dentals works. (As drlee27 said) but I dont think you would perceive such a small change on your ears.
If you kept the impressions out of direct sunlight and they show no signs of deterioration, I think you could reuse them.
If you get free impressions by your dentist, he/she is a really friendly one because dental impression material is very expensive.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I wonder if you can ask your dentist to take the impression for you when you have your regular check up. He or she might do it for you for free!

I doubt that, that would happen. I don't think most dentists would have the same gear that and auiologist would have. The little wire and foam piece to put down into the ear, and the big syringe (sp?) to shoot the goo in.

Also Most dental impressions are algenate, and not the same silicone mix that is used for your ears.

-Jeff

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 10
I was told by Ultimate Ears to send in my impressions as soon as possible because they will change over time. UE then scans the impressions so they can keep them on record for future use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back