Silent netbook or 3rd gen touch?
Sep 22, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #16 of 22
Really depends on what you want it for. I have an iPhone 3G and a Dell Mini 9 running OSX/Win 7. I LOVE my Mini 9. It has 64GB SSD, BT, Wifi, camera.

I take it on trips and don't have to worry about losing a $$ machine. Does the job of a laptop very well. Video could be better but what can you expect from an Atom. I've used my USB DAC w/ it and sounds great. Headphone output is OK.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 22
Something I'd like to point out is that I think you might be a bit misguided on the fan noise issue with netbooks. Anytime I stressed the processor on the Eee I (which included just watching youtube videos) the fan turned on (and was noticeably loud, not any more than a regular laptop, but I could still hear it). I don't know that a netbook is going to be powerful enough for recording either. Sorry, I seem to be really anti-netbook, but I think you've got some misconceptions about them.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I'd like to point out is that I think you might be a bit misguided on the fan noise issue with netbooks. Anytime I stressed the processor on the Eee I (which included just watching youtube videos) the fan turned on (and was noticeably loud, not any more than a regular laptop, but I could still hear it). I don't know that a netbook is going to be powerful enough for recording either. Sorry, I seem to be really anti-netbook, but I think you've got some misconceptions about them.

The Dell Mini 9 is completely fanless. There's no fan noise when it gets stressed, because it doesn't have one. I'm not planning to record on it. I have a full size laptop for that, as well as a desktop with a pro sound card. And a standalone hard disc recorder (Fostex 2424LV). I might mix on the netbook occasionally, which it should be fast enough for if I use the right software. I did several entire albums on a 350 Mhz K6-3 back when that was the state of the art. (Locking each effect was a 20 minute wait, so I wouldn't mix on that slow of a machine by choice, but we used what we had and got things done.
tongue.gif
)

My daughter has a Eee 1000HA, so I'm pretty familiar with the capabilities of the Atom.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dell Mini 9 is completely fanless. There's no fan noise when it gets stressed, because it doesn't have one. I'm not planning to record on it. I have a full size laptop for that, as well as a desktop with a pro sound card. And a standalone hard disc recorder (Fostex 2424LV). I might mix on the netbook occasionally, which it should fast enough for if I use the right software. I did several entire albums on a 350 Mhz K6-3 back when that was the state of the art. (Locking each effect was a 20 minute wait, so I wouldn't mix on that slow of a machine by choice, but we used what we had and got things done.
tongue.gif
)

My daughter has a Eee 1000HA, so I'm pretty familiar the capabilities of the Atom.

Ok, just making sure, I know a lot of people who bought a netbook and found it wasn't powerful enough for them. I was disappointed with how often the fan kicked on with the Eee. The Acer Timeline I've been using lately is much better in that regard.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 22
I ordered the Mini 9 just now. They had a white one with the 1.3 webcam for $229 and free shipping. I might end up with a Touch too, but not until next year sometime.

Now I need to find a cheap decent DAC. Guess that involves some reading and maybe another topic...

Thanks everyone for your help.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where'd you order it from, Harley?

Straight from Dell, from their refurb outlet. Just went to Dell.com and typed "Refurbished" in the search box.

I should have it in time for RMAF, hooked to the CTH and Grado 225's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back