Silent Cinima
Nov 11, 2006 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11
IMO straight through 2 channel should never be should never be used injunction with headphones. It's unnatural, incredibly fatiguing, and will totally screw with your acoustic processing over time.
Now trust me when I say this.. I’ve tried EVERY signal processing method on the planet. The latest one I’ve been diddling with is Yamaha’s SilentCinima.
Now, there presets are a bit over the top, but with my DP-U50 you can edit and create your own.. And let me tell you, gain some patients, learn and understand exactly what each mode does, and how it corresponds with other settings, and you can create an absolutely flawless presentation exactly as you would hear in real life. It’s impressed the hell outa me, mainly for its incredible crossfeed.

Not much of a thread I know, but I had to give my word on THE BEST algo out there. Yes better then DH, by a longshot.

Ya get a chance you should give it a good open mind. It's one of the best things to happen to headphone experience.

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 11
The best thing for cinema, ie, dvd thru headphones, would be a dolby headphone track made at the studio end and availible as a seperate audio stream on the DVD. One which incorporates a plugin for custom HRTF.

In the meantime Im very happy with the plain Dolby headphone downmix, but if I get the chance Ill be sure to try out this SilentCinima.

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
The best thing for cinema, ie, dvd thru headphones, would be a dolby headphone track made at the studio end and availible as a seperate audio stream on the DVD. One which incorporates a plugin for custom HRTF.

In the meantime Im very happy with the plain Dolby headphone downmix, but if I get the chance Ill be sure to try out this SilentCinima.

Well honestly your best example's making me blush. I'm sure it would sound unreal on a real level. DH kicks ass, just bit to two dimensional. It’s cool that it can do what it does with 0 HRTF keys, but there need to be some HRTF implemented to do things right.

For translating standard 2 channel and layering algorithms, silentcinema's the king. You can layer SC over anything. In-fact, for kicks I overlay foobar passing DH and sounds pretty dam good.
And I'm sure if there was a track made for a non environmental SC preset; it would ATLEAST compete.

Minimize the stupid environment effects with SilentCinema and you get that much closer to what make silentcinema so great: It's 3D Crossfeed effect, once you discover it there is no going back. IT"S F&@CKING FLAWLESS!!

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kryss
I have both Silent Cinema (Yamaha rxv2400 receiver) and Dolby Headphone (couple of DVDs: Pearl Harbor and Terminator 2) and I can confirm that Yamaha’s Silent Cinema is amazing but Dolby Headphone soundtrack is the best.
Demo Dolby Headphone: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/headphone.html

Can you edit DSP presets with your receiver? If not you should here those DH demos overlaid with properly calibrated SC.
The SC presets they provide are garbage and would give the nodd to DH over all them, any day. But take a SC 5.1 preset; down mix to 2 channel, eliminate environment effects, play with the dynamics, choose the most centered coherent upfront HRTF mode for your ears, and I swear to you, you have a DH killer!

Nov 11, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 11
It's interesting, as Yamaha seem to have abandoned SC for Smyth Virtual Surround.

Up until now, I can't say I've been a huge fan of Silent Cinema (relative to DH), but then again, I wasn't even aware SC's parameters were adjustible.
lambda.gif

In any case, I will be getting Yamaha's SVS unit, so I look forward to seeing how far I can take it.

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
They've totally abandoned SC...? I doubt that.
Isn't SVS more of a novelty gadget that positions sound reletive to head? I know would never buy into, or have a need for such cheese.

Cheese? No, SVS is a custom HRTF measurement system, ie. the proper way to do a speaker virtualization.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 11
Can´t say I been that impressed by silent Cinema on my RX-V663... But mostly I just hate it´s horrible headphone output. More that then anything I suppose. Is there really any way to change these parameters? I haven´t seen anything about it in the OSD anywhere???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back