Silencing PSU Fan - Am I out of options?
Sep 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

reiserFS

Headphoneus Supremus
I've damped my case so far and reduced almost every fan noise...except the PSU. GPU, CPU and everything else is silent, but the PSU still gives off the usual fan noise. Are there any options left besides exchanging the PSU?

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 15
The way I see it you have 4 options:

1)You can change the fan inside the PSU to an aftermarket fan, did that before with good results.
2)You can remove the fan, did that too....its been maybe 6 months with no fan inside my Antec 380w Earthwatts power supply.  The ps case is just slightly warm to the touch.
3)You can purchase a fan-less power supply, kinda expensive
4)You can put a manual fan speed control on the PS fan and adjust the speed manually to your liking.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 15

Dynobot,

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a great idea!  I'm going to remove the fan in my PS.  Have a question, what's the worst that can happen if that PS fails due to overheating?  Can say, the rest the components inside the PC get messed up or would I just need to replace the power supply?

Thanks.

Quote:
2)You can remove the fan, did that too....its been maybe 6 months with no fan inside my Antec 380w Earthwatts power supply.  The ps case is just slightly warm to the touch.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 15

The worst that can happen....Hmmmm maybe the PS blows up in a ball of flames and burns the house down.  Which in turn spreads to a neighbors house and another until the whole neighborhood is burning which ignites the trees and dry grasses causing a forest fire burning thousands of acres of land.  While trying to put out the fires several firemen are lost, planes crash due to the heavy smoke and people go into a panic thinking its a terrorist event which leads to a stock market crash and the further collapse of world economies.

But realistically if it fails it will just simply stop working....I think, maybe, possibly.

Quote:
Dynobot,

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a great idea!  I'm going to remove the fan in my PS.  Have a question, what's the worst that can happen if that PS fails due to overheating?  Can say, the rest the components inside the PC get messed up or would I just need to replace the power supply?

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 15
LOL,

That was funny!!

Yeah, I was thinking more like in terms of the motherboard, hard drives with my music collection - I don't give a rat's arse about the neighbors.  (Just kidding, of course)
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Dynobot!!

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Ohhhhh the mobo etc....
normal_smile .gif

They will be fine.  I would suggest not actually cutting the wire but to disconnect it and feel for temp differences.  Mine is only 380w with a small fan, it barely gets hot and is not under heavy load.

If you are a little concerned you can always add a cheap heat sink.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The way I see it you have 4 options:

1)You can change the fan inside the PSU to an aftermarket fan, did that before with good results.
3)You can purchase a fan-less power supply, kinda expensive
4)You can put a manual fan speed control on the PS fan and adjust the speed manually to your liking.

Thanks for the answer, though I wouldn't really want to try the fanless option on a 750w supply. Do you have any kinds of recommendations for aftermarket fans that fit inside a PSU?

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, though I wouldn't really want to try the fanless option on a 750w supply. Do you have any kinds of recommendations for aftermarket fans that fit inside a PSU?

Silenx makes some of the quietest fans I have seen, one of their fans plus a manual speed adjustment thingy should work.  You can put the fan in the PS and power it off the MB or PS connectors to make it easy.

http://www.silenx.com/index.asp

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 15
How about using some dampening material on the non moving part of the fan unit. This would reduce vibrations and  perhaps lower the overall noise. I would use small pieces of dynamat strategically located.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Check this thread

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48318&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=ca3e2f76570219f87cf7017d2f2ba775

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 15
What power supply do you have ??? Antec, Corsair, Fortron, OCZ, PC Power and Cooliing, Thermaltake ??? Knowing what piece of hardware you are talking about would get more detailed help.

Hard to recommend a solution without knowing what animal we are talking about.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 15
you need to build a small box with a lip like so :p

box >  |

|  <---- is top of box
           |       |   <--- Lip to let air out over heating ps is bad
          \/ |   |\/  <--- Air going out of box
            ^^^^ air flow from fan
        fan here  if you can figure the gerneral idea out from my picture i dont blame you but i wont help you any further either.

line box with dampening cardboard works fine for the box :p or spend a little and buy a 90% efficiency psu that turns off its fan when its not under load :p

STUPID FORUM IS USELESS ..... so easy to get errors .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back