Sik Din or Pocketdock?
Sep 15, 2004 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Fishing

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I want to use the lineout function of my iPod, and I've been looking at the Sik Din and the Pocketdock. I just wanted to know is there any difference between the two other than the price and the looks?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 15, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 17
I have both. The Pocketdock is slightly larger than the SiK Din. The difference in size is enough that I can't use the Pocketdock with the iPod inside its iPod Armour Case. If I was going to get one or the other I would recommend that you go with the SiK. More versatility.

Sep 15, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 17
i had both (well, still have the sik)...the pocketdock is just a bit too big to fit most ipod covers so becomes troublesome. the sik din has those two cords dangling around...but in the end, you can use the sik with most ipod shells/covers and the pocketdock has the audio problems with the new 4g ipods...so, sik din is the choice of a lot of people around here...

Sep 15, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, fisher, if you have a 4g ipod you really want to use the sik as there are sound issues with it and the pocketdock.
I have a 3g ipod and both the pocket dock and sik, and find the wire mess in my Waterfield bag is much lessened with the pocketdock, and I also lose one superfluous connection.

Sep 15, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Doug, it is funny, but I have an iPod Mini with the Armor Case that I can't use with the PocketDock. Looks like I have to buy the Sik so that (eventually) I'll be able to buy the SR-71. How do you like the 3G iPod's line out with SR-71 setup?

Steve,
My iPod/E5/earcandy cable/Sik Imp/SR-71/iPod Armour/Waterfield InMotion Case portable audio rig is one of the few things in life that I am thoroughly satisfied with. The line-out setup works perfectly with the SR-71. Maybe I will eventually fall prey to the continuingly lurking upgrade monster, but I never thought that I would have such an awesome sounding portable audio system. I'm good for the forseeable future!
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Will either Sik or Pocketdock allow powering iPod from wall outlet?

The Apple dock has the the line-out and apple's proprietary wide connector, which can be powered from the wall via the iPod cable with firewire at the end, which hooks up to wall charger.

Neither Sik nor pocketdock seems to offer this apple proprietary connector, but can you use just plain firewire (at both ends) and hook it up to wall charger?

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 17
yep sik imp has that firewire dongle - just plug a firewire to firewire cable in there, and put the other end in the wall wart. bingo.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be getting the Sik Din then. I have the 4G iPod so if the PocketDock is gonna screw with the sound quality... Well I want none of that.

I was leaning towards the PocketDock at first cause it looked better without those dangling cables, but I'm glad I asked around. Sik costs less too...

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 17
does the sik din really do anything to enhance the sound of the ipod as opposed to just using the regular headphone jack?

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 17
The Sik also utilizes the side locks like the Apple cables use, the Pocketdock doesn't have these, so there is nothing locking the Pocketdock to the ipod. Some people find this to be important (myself included).

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
does the sik din really do anything to enhance the sound of the ipod as opposed to just using the regular headphone jack?

the headphone out will have all kinds of nasty things in the signal before hitting your amp - for instance, its own amp lol - plus some attenuation, and the aforementioned HD whine in the 4G.

a line out is a pretty straight up signal from the DAC as far as i've heard it - the cleanest signal you're going to get out of your pod. and yep it makes a difference in quality of sound. try it with your amp - from the sik din, then the headphone out. you'll hear a diff.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 17
i don't carry around an amp.

i just want to know if i plug my headphones into the sik din, instead of the headphone output, if i would notice a difference.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i don't carry around an amp.

i just want to know if i plug my headphones into the sik din, instead of the headphone output, if i would notice a difference.

Sure, you would have no control over the volume level.
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 17
huh?

why wouldn't the volume of the ipod work?

i clearly don't understand this din thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back