Significant Increase in SQ?
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iareConfusE

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own Senn's HD-280 Pro's, closed headphones, and I am satisfied with the SQ they produce, and I am going to be purchasing an open pair soon, probably AT's AD-700's, mainly for their comfort that everyone raves about.

My question is, is the SQ produced by the AD-700's the same or better than the HD-280's? I do realize that the sound may seem a bit different because the HD-280's are closed and the AD-700's im getting are open, but if you had to judge, which would sound better?

Sorry if this sounds like a lame question, but I am still a nub, and still trying to learn so, have mercy.

TIA

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own Senn's HD-280 Pro's, closed headphones, and I am satisfied with the SQ they produce, and I am going to be purchasing an open pair soon, probably AT's AD-700's, mainly for their comfort that everyone raves about.

My question is, is the SQ produced by the AD-700's the same or better than the HD-280's? I do realize that the sound may seem a bit different because the HD-280's are closed and the AD-700's im getting are open, but if you had to judge, which would sound better?

Sorry if this sounds like a lame question, but I am still a nub, and still trying to learn so, have mercy.

TIA

IMHO, after getting the AD700 you'll realize just how flat out terrible the HD280 is. The AD700 is better in everything.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, after getting the AD700 you'll realize just how flat out terrible the HD280 is. The AD700 is better in everything.

If it is really as good as you say it is, then I can't wait to get to the headphonic shop here in AU and try em out. I'll be even more stoked when I finally get to order them.

Anyone know if Amazon.com is an authorized Audio Technica Dealer?

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 8
My opinion is that the HD280 are awful and have no worthwhile or redeeming qualities. The PX100 is a step up, the Goldring DR series a jump up and an SFI-ed Goldring a leap up. I have not heard the AD700, but I did like the L3000 and the W5000.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Significant is a subjective term. If by significant, you mean like when you went from stock earbuds to your first full size headphone like the HD280? Then probably not (at least for me) unless you do a "significant" upgrade.

Here's my experience:
From stock earbuds to HD280 Pro --- HOLY CRAP! What have I been missing out on?

From HD280 Pro to RE2/RE1 --- Oh, it's nice, but only an incremental increase.

From RE2/RE1 to Denon D2000 --- The Denon's superior to everything I've heard to date! However, it's still not nearly as godly as people hyped it up to be.

From D2000 to Stax SR-Lambda/Ath-W5000 --- OMG! They're everything people hyped them up to be! Much better than the D2000. In comparison to going from stock to HD280 Pro? It was close, but still not enough of a jump.

Although the SQ increase was always more or less incremental for me, I can never go back to listening to the previous headphone.

After trying out other headphones, I realize that your HD280 Pro has harsh high/boring/anemic bass/extremely uncomfortable/no soundstage even though they offered me lots of fun when I first got them.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 8
The first thing u ll notice is the Soundstage..then 2nd u ll notice is the SQ..and then u ll either sell or throw away your HD280.

they are my most unfavourite Sennheiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back