Signal level from a sound card pre-out into a PPA...
Dec 22, 2005 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
I'll mainly be using my PPAv2 with my computer as the source component. I have an M Audio Audiophile 192 in there, so I suppose it'll be OK. (Sometimes I might use my Marantz CD6000 KI Signature or a portable source as well.)

I'm wondering what is the "best practice" for controlling the volume on a setup like this. Will it be preferrable to just turn the volume pot on the PPA all the way up, and just control the volume with the sound card's software controlled (preamp stage) volume control, or will it be smarter to find a "sweet spot" on the sound card volume control (preferably one that matches my CDP's line level output) and control the volume with the pot in the PPA?

I'm kind of annoyed by the two volume controls in series on such a setup, (Goes for most active PC speakers as well, btw) but as far as I know, there's no way to get a "fixed" line level output that'a not affected by the computer's software volume control from a/my sound card.

Oh: And I know that a DAC would fix my problem, but that's not an option for now. (And it'd make my recent sound card upgrade a waste of money.)

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Controlling the volume on the soundcard would be done in digital which isn’t preferred over analog control

Best is to set the soundcard to 100%, and adjust with the pot on the PPA

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er
Controlling the volume on the soundcard would be done in digital which isn’t preferred over analog control

Best is to set the soundcard to 100%, and adjust with the pot on the PPA

This may be a stupid question, but isn't there a chance that this will "overload" the amp's inputs and cause distortion?

<---n00b

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Unless your soundcard is real special, no

It could make it become too loud too quick when turning the pot up, and the fix for that is to lower the gain of the amp, by changing R4

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 8
You'll find that most soundcards are only a fraction of the volume of standalone CDplayers anyway.

Dec 23, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
You'll find that most soundcards are only a fraction of the volume of standalone CDplayers anyway.

OK. That's settled, then. Thanks guys!

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er

Please explain how volume control in the digital realm, where there is absolutely no signal loss - is inferior to analog, where there is, inevitably, some signal loss, no matter how inaudible it may be.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Please explain how volume control in the digital realm, where there is absolutely no signal loss - is inferior to analog, where there is, inevitably, some signal loss, no matter how inaudible it may be.

Digital you lose your dynamic range on your output with lower volume, with only 16bits of resolution (typical) when you lower the volume you start to cut out the most significant bits and get less resolution out
Analog you don’t have that problem until you hit the noise level of your resistor you are using which is generally lower than that of most digital sources anyway

Then there is the whole bit perfect issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back