Signal Cables Vs. BlueJeans
May 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
I have done extensive searching here, but I am still having a hard time deciding what are the best budget interconnect cables between the oft-applauded BJC LC-1's (~$32) and Signal Cables' slightly more expensive Analog 2's (~$49). It appears to me that the Signal interconnects are better-built and the more aesthetically pleasing choice out of the two. (I am not terribly interested in the 'bullet' plug upgrade, but feel free to try to convince me that it is a worthwhile upgrade.)

The main concern, however, is sound quality and I would especially appreciate input from anyone that has heard both.  What I am essentially looking for is a low-profile set of cables that will allow my DacMagic --> Gilmore Lite + DPS --> Denon MD5000 rig to truly shine. Thanks in advance for the input.
smile_phones.gif

May 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I have a bunch of BJC gear.  Love 'em, well priced.  Granted not the value of Monoprice but does 'look' better.  Sound?  Pretty much the same.

BUT, you said low-profile in your post.  Bear in mind that these cables protrude pretty far because of the connector.  And if you pick a more rigid connector, it can protrude farther.  Just something to keep in mind, especially if you have a depth restriction in a cabinet.

May 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 14
I can at least vouch for the BJC stuff, although I haven't tried any of the Signal Cables stuff. You will however, need at least 3 full inches behind the equipment.

Strictly by the numbers, the BJC stuff comes across as better. Lower capacitance, tighter shielding. Lighter gauge, but since they're just signal cables, that shouldn't be an issue.

May 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 14
I've purchased form both (both cables you mentioned, actually), and was pleased by both.  I seldom notice differences in sound between cables assuming minimum quality of materials & build, and likewise could discern no difference between either of these.  I tend to spend more $$ on cables due to build quality considerations.

May 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the input, all. I am still wrestling with the BJC vs. Signal Cable dilema. Ultimately, if it comes down to cost and customer service, BJC wins. They also come out on top based on reputation. I suppose that only thing to hear now is that Signal is not as good for some sound quality consideration, or that the Analog 2 exceeds the performance of the LC-1's. Any further comments?

May 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I have both and I like both. Buy based on what material you need (copper/silver) to match your system. 

So, if I happen to be looking at an all-copper power cable for my GLite DPS, they I should make sure my interconnects are all copper? Forgive me if I sound a bit daft, as I have not read much about cable materials-matching before...

May 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I have all BJC cables, have not tried the Signal Cables.

I cannot imagine a better built cable than the BJC cables I've received. I'm fairly picky about my cables, and usually disassemble them to make sure all solder joints are up to snuff... so far they have ALL been perfect!

PS: their toslink cables are top notch as well

May 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks! As I am also in the market for a couple toslinks, that is indeed good news. The optical cables that BL sells look rather plain and unassuming, but I take it that they get the job done very well. Are they reasonably flexible/not prone to kinking or breakage?

May 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 14
I own both the IC's you mentioned, I can't here a difference.  There is a HUGE difference in the flexiblity of these cables.  The Blue Jeans stuff is stiffer and doesn't bend as well, the Signal Cable stuff does.  Just something to consider as you purchase.

May 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 14
As far as build quality goes, Bigjpop, how do Blue Jeans (LC-1) and Signal cables (Analog 2) compare? I have read quite a bit over at Audiogon about the Signal Cable sheaths coming apart from the shrink seal. So, no audible difference at all? That is interesting news, in support of the cheaper (albeit stiffer) BJC interconnects. Has anyone else noticed that these two cables are essentially equivalent, SQ-wise?

May 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Sorry for the slow response.  I think build quality on them both is excellent.  I have about 5 different Signal Cable products and several Blue Jeans products as well.  I've never had any problem with any of them.  I just can't really here much of a difference in any cable.  I think once you have decent quality conductors with decent insulation and good solid electrical connections your 99% of the way there.  After that, I think you're really buying based on what you think looks cool.  Nothing wrong with that in my book; I think lots of my Signal Cable stuff looks cool, I like that it's more flexible (maybe not important in your application) and that's part of the reason I bought it.

May 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 14
Cool. Thanks for the info, Bigjppop! I went ahead and picked up some BJC's interconnects for starters. I figured they are relatively inexpensive and would be remiss to not have a pair in my setup, or at least at arm's length for comparisons. It is also my opinion that the Signal Cables Analog 2's look sharper, but if they perform the same, it's a no-brainer. Perhaps, one of these days, when I have the scratch, I will upgrade to the flashier Analog 2 and digital optical Signals. But for now, consider me satiated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back