Sigma Lens for Digital Rebel XT?
Oct 1, 2007 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going down this road again. Some of you may or may not have remembered an SLR based discussion thread I started awhile ago, but the two main things I learned about cameras there were that I should stick with Canon, and that lenses are much more important than bodies when determining image quality. Unfortunately, my limited budget permits the purchase of only a select few wide-angled lenses (one of which I'll link here) and the cheapest among Canon's numerous offerings. Thus, I would like to know if this lens is worth my money, as I've heard mixed reviews about Sigma products in general, and if there are any comparable lenses in the same or similar price range. I do not, however, want advice on other camera bodies, as I have spent many hours researching this subject and have come to my own conclusion on which to purchase.

Thanks,
Nick

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Here's the Fred reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=2

Sigma has some odd focal lengths (and redundant) in it's line. It looks like lately they (or their retailers, especially Amazon) have been drastically dropping prices on these "stranger" focal length zooms.

Edit: Keep in mind those reviews are from people who probably paid almost double for the lens you linked.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, how does the "strange" focal length affect the image quality or focusing abilities of the lens, if there are any negative effects at all?

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, how does the "strange" focal length affect the image quality or focusing abilities of the lens, if there are any negative effects at all?

Whoops... I was editing as you posted. When I say strange I really meant redundant.

I only own a sigma macro, so I can't really answer that.

Here's a bunch of threads with some owner posts. From what I see, some had slow focus issues and a few other thought it just wasn't that good:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...archid=3422184

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 6
The Sigma apo-chromatic lenses are excellent,as are the ones from Tokina and Tamron. The standard glass versions are best bought as prime from Canon.
Odd focal length is a question of taste. The old Vivitar S1 90 to 180mm was a stunner of a zoom that I used for many applications. I last tried out a 15-24mm zoom. I was impressed, but I don't take that many wide angle shots these days. I had the Canon 80-350mm zoom. Waste of money. Sold it at a huge loss and got two Sigma apo-chromatic zooms instead. Easier to carry and handle, and quality was A1.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Don't worry too much about the name, but more the particular lens if you're looking at Canon/Tokina/Sigma/Tamron. My Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Check reviews on FM, and photography-on-the.net has an awesome list of threads full of example pictures with all sorts of lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back