Sigma 11 vs Tread and the Apogee Mini DAC
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dclancy

500+ Head-Fier
After reading some testimonials of the pairing of Sigma 11 and the Apogee mini DAC, I started doing some reading on the boards. Well, I'm wondering what you would suggest to be a good project for me. I have decent soldering skills, but never tackled something that could kill me. I'm confident in what I'm reading so far, but still understand the difference between this project and rigging interconnects.
I like the idea of the tread kit, and only needing to order a couple parts on the side (e.g. LM338). Also price is a big plus! I can assemble a couple of these for the cost of the Sigma.

1. My question then is, would you recommend this to a relative newb?
2. Can anyone testify to the sonic advantages of one over the other with the mini DAC?

I've come to the conclusion with my setup, that I can either tweak some components on the cheap (power, interconnects, vintage transport), or start investing on some pricey upgrades (new phones, tube amp, etc.). So if you feel the upgrade is negligible for my time, money, and possible risk, let me know, and I can invest elsewhere.
Thanks!

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 8
As long as you're very patient and take great care in what you do, something like the Sigma 11 is very easy. The biggest risk is not paying attention and soldering a cap or something the wrong way around. So check, check and double check and you'll be fine
L3000.gif

Also, I'm a big fan of getting the best PSU you can afford. It 'maxes out' the amp/DAC/whatever and you can use it again when you upgrade.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 8
^^^ True.
Guess I just wanted a few people to weigh in before I jump right in!
Like I said, I'm not too worried, just curious if the step up is necessary.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Power supplies can actually make a difference. I thought it was a bunch of hoohaw until I heard it for myself, first with a t-amp and then with a Gamma2.

Wallwarts are ok but they can't stand up to something like a Sigma11. I can't compare to the Tread but I can say power supply upgrades are something to consider with digital equipment.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 8
indeed a low noise power supply is a good upgrade and no-matter what you buy next, something like a sigma will always be an asset. you might also consider a separate supply for the digital and analogue sections, though that would require cracking open the apogee

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 8
separate ps for digital and analog is a good SENSIBLE upgrade. throwing 'one huge good ps' at a complex circuit is futile and a waste of money/time.

I pick a tread for when I need 1 amp or less (usually a lot less), and I need lower noise than a 7800 series would give but nothing really lab grade (or the circuit downstream needs 'good' but not 'great' since it intends to further clean things up).

I pick a 7800 if I need better than wallwart but mostly for digital things and rarely for analog.

if I need dual 'simple' I'll use 2 treads back to back and tweak them so they match each other (but they don't track each other).

if I need tracking (truly honestly need it) then it would be s22 (if I can afford the space!)

if I need real current, it will be s11 or s22 and NOT a tread. tread is not meant for high current, just low-noise 'simple' things and some amps (but not spkr driving amps).

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 8
As I pointed out in a separate thread, the noise output difference between LM317 and the 7800 series (particularly the good ones, such as LM78xxA and LM340T-xx) is negligible. 7815/7915 regulators are used with good results in the CK²III and several other designs. Neither of these are anywhere near as quiet as the σ11/σ22, or could pass as much current, but 78xx/79xx regulators are found everywhere, even in high-end commercial gear.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Appreciate the info. I think I'll go with a Sigma 11 for now. Separate ps's may be a step beyond what I'm capable of till I'm more familiar with what I'm doing.
I still need to do some more reading and planning, but while I have your attention, anyone have any suggestions or advise pertaining to the Apogee mini DAC in particular? i.e. anyone run into any problems or learn any tricks when building for the Apogee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back