Sight and Hearing connections
Jan 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mabus627

100+ Head-Fier
For awhile now I've noticed that I perceive sound more so with my left ear, I've actually thought of mentioning this on these forums before, but decided against it thinking it was just that my right ear was more damaged than the left. Recently I logged onto MSN and saw this link http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/13/5831480-what-i-cant-hear-you-my-glasses-are-off?gt1=43001. It got me to thinking about this a small bit. Later on that night while listening to mindthings I noticed it again, thought of the article, and decided to close my left eye(my dominant eye). http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...-i-cant-hear-you-my-glasses-are-off?gt1=43001
Lo' and behold, where I perceived shifts to the center. I open my left eye and yet again it shifts to be more towards the left. I then try making it so I am seeing more of the world with my right eye(looking to the left), the sound shifts to so that it seems to be more coming from the right. Lastly I closed both eyes and noticed that the sound seemed to "encompass" everything.

Have any of you also experienced this? If so do you perceive the sound more so from you dominant eye or the other?

If there is anyone who has a degree in psychology your views and input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Haven't experienced this exactly, but I do have moments where auditory stimulus can produce visual sensation, typically when I am very nearly asleep (either just falling asleep, or just waking up).  I'll hear a loud noise, and while my eyes are still closed, I'll "see" a brief burst of light.  Kind of strange, huh?

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 4
I've actually had something similar happen with me a few times, mostly from extreme amounts of bass which caused a "blackening" of the area where your focus is and no where else. I've also had a very... strange thing happen to me once, where all of my senses completely faded except for hearing. I was sitting in class with my head down and I was listening to some song(not sure what it was anymore), when a specific part that i think was an arpeggio on the guitar, maybe on the piano. Anyway, as it played i "felt", so to speak, all my sense fade.
It stands out so much to me because of some of the dream/night-terror-like states I've ended up in because of Dyslexia and hormonal imbalances. Though since then I have never been able to recreate it...

Also, I know the condition Synesthesia has very similar symptoms though they are much more pronounced, such as always saying huge black blocks appear while listening to dance club music, or tasting words, or hearing colors, or even using an abacus-like system in which colored blocks would appear and change as you counted higher and higher.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 4
There is good evidence that visual and audio information integrate at several brain regions and improve inference, disambiguation and localization.  For example, the border regions of occipetal (visual) and temporal (auditory) cortex are thought to be active during synesthesia as you describe.  The superior colliculus also integrates spatial information from visual and auditory senses to improve stimulus localization.  These articles might be a good intro to the neurobiology of audiovisual integration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back