-sigh--
May 20, 2002 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fbleagh

Head-Fier
well my new MZ-N1 sounds great
smily_headphones1.gif

and sounds even better through my TA
smily_headphones1.gif

but i slight problem , you can't set the output socket to be line out when the remote is plugged in
frown.gif
and that is by far the easiest way to control the thing.

i wanna have

N1 --> Remote --> TA --> ex70's or DT770's

but running through 1 amp and then another just seems like bad idea to me

any ideas ?

May 20, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Thats a bad situation! You want to have your cake and eat it too! I'm surprised that it has that 'feature'.. It doesn't sound like its very helpful. I don't know of any situation where I would be glad that it disables the lineout when the remote is plugged in.

While its always superior to plug straight into a line out, you can go from the headphone out to the TA, and still get better sound than straight from the headphone out to the headphones. Some people say its not worth it, but I think there is still an improvement. You are taking the 'weight' off the built in player. It doesn't have to actually DRIVE a headphone, just pass its signal along, so it doesn't ever reach the limits of its operational abilities, which is where the worst distortion occurs. Plus, you still get the crossfeed.

I'd say try it out the headphone jack, and then listen through the line out again, and go back and forth a few times. If you don't think you can live with the headphone jack, then look around for another player that doesn't have that 'feature' (or possibly find a way to disable that feature in the software? I know things like that are possible in some players, i have no idea about yours though). But if you think you can deal with the headphone jack, then go for it. Good portable sound is about the sound, of course, but the PORTABLE part of it includes convienience. The whole act of carrying music around with you forces you to make compromises for convenience's sake. If the compromise still results in acceptable sound quality, but improves your useability, then its AOK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,
phidauex

May 21, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 7
The primary reason why Sony knocks out the Line Out when you plug in the remote is because the Line Out mode, used with 'phones, is VERY loud. That is why they also make the player default back to Headphone Out everytime the unit is turned off...so that you don't suddenly turn it on, use 'phones, and end up with your ears blown off accidentally. And logically just about everybody plans on plugging their 'phones into the remote, not some kind of an amp. In the portable sense, it'd be pretty ridiculous to have an amp hanging off of the remote, if your player were tucked away and all you have out is the remote. If you were going to use the amp, then that should take over your volume controlling, not the remote (other remote features aside). I don't think it's a smart idea to use the remote with an amp anyways, some kind of impedance issue probably if you try.

I personally don't see the point of pairing an amp with an MD player either given the amp itself is larger and heavier than the player. You might as well have gotten a portable CDP if you were willing to carry around all that bulk in the first place.

May 21, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

I personally don't see the point of pairing an amp with an MD player either given the amp itself is larger and heavier than the player.

i've got a r50 pmdp and a cha47 amp that are about the same size and weight. they both fit in a wallet sized case logic case, which i can fit into a pant pocket or jacket easily.

i like the r50-amp combo because it sounds great, it is actually a smaller width than my pcdp (but thicker) so it fits in many more pockets. also, the minidiscs are smaller and easier to load than cds when you're going portable, plus you can pack the minidisc with 74 minutes of music, where a lot of cds are album length 40 minutes only.

btw, fb, have you considered getting a r50 md recorder? it has a seperate line out which means you can use the remote at the same time. plus it is a killer md player (but only does realtime recording, i think).

May 21, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Too bad Sony stopped making that classic.

Of course, you can find many R50's on eBay and on classified sections of MD forums. I can't undererstand why Sony hasn't incorporated that separate line out on the newer MDR's, so you don't lose the remote's functions with an amp.

Still, the jog dial returned with the MZ-R909.

Redshifter, have you become an Eggo enthusiast, also? The D22SL's and D66SL's are great cans.

May 22, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 7
superbaldguy,

right now i'm listening to talking heads "fear of music" on a d777 pcdp - markertec mini-mini - cha47 amp - markertec mini-mini(female) - d66sl (without extension cord). yeah, i'm a fan of these eggos; i haven't tried the d22, but the d66 are pretty great.

btw, i scored the r50 for about $80 on ebay, in new condition. when i'm not using the amp NOTHING beats the r70 - er6 combo. with the standard aa battery the r70 takes (i use a nimh), it's coming to italy with me!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back