Sigh... HD555 lasted all of 10 minutes at work
Apr 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Spedinfargo

New Head-Fier
Was excited about trying out my HD555's at work today and did not realize just how "open" open cans were...

Took all of a song and a half for a co-worker to tap me on the shoulder to tell me "I don't need to hear your music".

Oh well... back to the drawing board.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Try not cranking the volume

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 18
You should probably consider a closed headphone like the Audio Technica M50, Denon D1001, or Shure 440. The open headphones will leak no matter what. If you lower the volume you will be able to hear the office noise and not much music and vice versa. Closed headphones are the way to go.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spedinfargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took all of a song and a half for a co-worker to tap me on the shoulder to tell me "I don't need to hear your music".

Ah that wasn't a very nice way to tell someone now. Most people aren't familiar with the concept of open headphones, they use closed cans or earbuds as a reference point and think "headphones block your ears... so if I can hear it, then you're way too loud". They don't notice all the holes in your grille.
wink.gif

Still, I only use open cans at home. Work, libraries... closed all the way.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 18
Yah, he kind of has an interesting way of telling me things anyway... his comment was also "are they supposed to have speakers on the outside?"

I should have done some more research - but at the price I got for the HD555's (83 bucks) it's not a terrible loss. I'll have to figure out if I want to keep them for home...

I saw some other good threads with similarly-priced closed phones - sounds like there are some other great choices out there...

Thanks for the feedback...

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 18
As a HD555 owner weren't you aware these open phones leak sound very much?

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 18
To put it bluntly, your co-worker is a jerk. Personally with a response like that I'd tell him where to stick it.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Yah, he kind of has an interesting way of telling me things anyway... his comment was also "are they supposed to have speakers on the outside?"

I could understand why someone would think that, they're as big as some of those things people call iPod speakers these days.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

I should have done some more research - but at the price I got for the HD555's (83 bucks) it's not a terrible loss. I'll have to figure out if I want to keep them for home...

Ah, we all make mistakes from time to time. I had a HD595 a long time ago, amped from Headroom Micro (2006 desktop), good headphones, but I understand now they're not a match to a HD650-class headphone from a home rig. Get your office setup, tons of options... but if you can lose them now as they're new, might as well. Your closed can would be quite good, you might want a full home rig later, and I hear something like an AD900 or Ultrasone can handle gaming and movies as well.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 18
I'd like to third the comment about the co-worker. What's with the attitude problem? Not polite at all.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

haha that's what my friends said when I got my HD650's.

They thought I was stupid for getting open headphones. "Isn't the point of headphones to keep sound out?"

they'll never learn...

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 18
Get some closed ones...HD 25 I II.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Its great to the be boss at work. They are mainly worried if they can interrupt me when I am listening with my HD800s. (specially if I am napping at lunch)

I agree with using closed headphones around co-workers who are in hearing distance. Disrupting a co-workers concentration is not a good thing. A bit less of a sound stage, and you can't hear anything else around you with closed headphones on. I cannot dictate with closed headphones on, while open ones allow me to hear my voice to dictate well enough. (I think I speak louder with music playing.)

If your work frowns on music at work, I think IEMs are a good way to be inconspicuous.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 18
My cube mates say the same thing, I tell them to put their cheap Walmart headphones on if they dont want to hear my music. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back