<sigh> Another question
Jun 8, 2002 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I really need your opinion on something guys. I thought the little would be a pushover amp. I was DEAD wrong. So, has anyone compared the MG Head OTL with the Little WITH THE PREMIUM module and the LIttle WITH THE UPGRADED PSU and the stock little?

I think I'll be calling headroom soon. . .

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Though I didn't do a direct comparison the MG OTL was quite impressive for the price. I still think I would prefer the upgraded little if memory serves me correct.

Honestly, I spent most of my time on the high-end rack drooling over the EAR HP4 and settling on the Max (when price was factored in, max was 95% of the ear for less than half the price).

For a starter amp you really couldn't go wrong with the little or the MG. Better yet, get both and use to taste.

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 20
The thing is, the upgraded little costs $100 more. I have to factor in that I'll be using the amp that I buy for the next 2 years, at least until college. I also love the fact that if I get an upgraded little, I'll be getting the chance to upgrade the power supply.

But then, I'm using hd580s. And EVERYONE praises the 580/600 comboed with tubes, the MG head in particular.

Yagh! I'll have to wait till the world of headphones tour. . .

Anyone?

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 20
The Head and 580/600 is a very good match, but in the event you ever upgrade/sidegrade your headphones, maybe flexibility for the future is something to consider. As much as I liked my MG Head/600 combo, I found that I only liked it with the 600s. Any other headphones that I tried with it did not sound very good to my ears. So the Head was relegated to very part time status.....and eventually to the For Sale forum.

Then again, this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
The Head and 580/600 is a very good match, but in the event you ever upgrade/sidegrade your headphones, maybe flexibility for the future is something to consider. As much as I liked my MG Head/600 combo, I found that I only liked it with the 600s. Any other headphones that I tried with it did not sound very good to my ears. So the Head was relegated to very part time status.....and eventually to the For Sale forum.

Then again, this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would agree with you about the MG Head OTL. I was very surprised when I stuck the Sony 7506's on it. The MG Head gives the HD600's much more bass kick, especially with Clou's. But the 7506 had the worst bass sound out of ANY amp with the MG head. Limited and loose. Even my ancient Sony EP11 MD player had better low end then the MG Head/7506 combo. Could be impedance mismatch, for sure.

HD600's with clou's go well with the MG Head OTL.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 20
get the head and save yourself some $$.
wink.gif

But then again.....this is a head owner here talking......you'll have fun tube rolling as well.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 20
LITTLE = fast, clean, crossfeed, reliable, Headroom service

MG Head = tubes.

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 20
I love all of those things about the little! I haven't heard the MG yet. Maybe that will change something.

I really want to know what would sound better. An MG head or a premium little? MG Head or fully decked out little.

I love the upgrade path of the little. I mean, MG Head, sure, I can roll tubes, but theres only so much I can do. Eventually, in a year or two, I see myself upgrading the PSU on the little as well.

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 20
Since I like Jan and Tyll both, I'll remind you that the Corda HA-1 is a really nice amp for the money. It seemed to be missing from your list of considerations so nevermind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, the Little is good for spend a little here, get a little more there. It's an upgrade thing.

The MG Head is good if you need that sweet beautiful midrange and are willing to sacrifice speed, upper and lower extension to achieve it.

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 20
The little is rolled off in the highs. I'm not really sure which one wins in extension. Neither is stellar in that aspect to be sure. The upgrades for the Little may help it out, I dunno.

The Corda kills them both in extension on both extremes, but you didn't ask about the Corda so nevermind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back