Sienhiser 598s Vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ManOfFire

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! This is my first ever post on the website, and I needed some help choosing headphones for my style. I'm currently debating whether to get the Sienhiser 598s or the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I listen to all kinds of music, like old school hip-hop, metal, jazz, old school rock, etc. And i don't know what type of headphones would fit my musical taste. Another problem is that I love moving while I listen to music, and i have no idea which one would be more of a portable headphone. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 9
The HD598s should work quite well with a portable device, but they are not good to use in public. You will be able to hear your environment very well, and the people around you will hear your music.

What will you be plugging your headphones into for listening for music? What is your maximum budget?

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 9
The HD598s should work quite well with a portable device, but they are not good to use in public. You will be able to hear your environment very well, and the people around you will hear your music.

What will you be plugging your headphones into for listening for music? What is your maximum budget?Hey 

Hey man,thanks for the response! I will be plugging my headphone into my phone, laptop, PS3, and computer. though it's mainly going to be plugged into my phone. I'm willing to spend $300 for some cans. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, do you want headphones that you can use in public? :)

If so, avoid open headphones and get closed ones. Check out this buying guide that explains the different headphone types (as well as listing some recommended ones): http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Open headphones do generally have the advantage of a bigger, more immersive soundstage which is why they are popular for home use.

As for headphones that can plug into your devices, you made some good choices. Look for lower impedance headphones with ohm ratings like the M50s or HD598 (or lower ohms)--although probably not as low as 12 or 16 ohms since that's a little low for some portable devices to drive well.

Another good list of great headphones is Innerfiedlity's Wall of Fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame
You'll find links at the bottom of that page to lists for different headphone types, and generally each of the headphones described links to a full review.

Not on that list, but I will suggest looking into the Soundmagic HP100 for a closed headphone. I have not heard it, but it's getting a lot of good testimonials from people: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-review

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 9
  Hey guys! This is my first ever post on the website, and I needed some help choosing headphones for my style. I'm currently debating whether to get the Sienhiser 598s or the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I listen to all kinds of music, like old school hip-hop, metal, jazz, old school rock, etc. And i don't know what type of headphones would fit my musical taste. Another problem is that I love moving while I listen to music, and i have no idea which one would be more of a portable headphone. Thanks!

Do you have the option to get both?

They would actually compliment each other perfectly and cover all genres of your music taste.

M50 for hiphop, metal, hard rock, electronic etc
and for portable use (some isolation due to closed design)

HD598 for jazz, classic, acoustic, soft rock etc
and for home use (tons of leakage)

If you ONLY have one choice, and based on your need for portability, the M50 would get the extra vote.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 9
  Hey man,thanks for the response! I will be plugging my headphone into my phone, laptop, PS3, and computer. though it's mainly going to be plugged into my phone. I'm willing to spend $300 for some cans. 

Get the JVC HA-S500 (or HA-S400) for use with the iPhone
The Sennheiser HD558 for gaming (PS3, computer) and the laptop.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Portable: Since you listen to a ton of genres (not just one in particular), you'd probably want something with a relatively flat/unaltered response.  You might want an eq (Poweramp App) for minimal adjustments.  Anyway, I'd look into the KEF M500.  The M500 is pretty much completely flat. The bass will get loud when the track calls for it, the guitars will get quieter when the track calls, etc etc...  The vocals on these are actually reeeeally good.  The bass goes low, it's tight, etc. Soundstage is great.  I could go on and on about this headphone.

I'd also recommend the PSB M4u 1.  It's pretty flat, with a slightly warm tint.  A KEF m500 with a darker background, slightly more lower mids/upperbass.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you all! All of you are giving out some great advice. Looking at the comments, I have realized that it's important for me to think about my options. You guys have given some stuff to think about... I currently have a Monster Inspiration and really wanted something leaps and bounds ahead of those crappy cans. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 9
Another all around headphone to consider is the Senns HD 380 Pro. I own one and it's better than m50's IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back