Sieben Technology Z-Docks
Mar 31, 2011 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Brent Hutto

100+ Head-Fier
about.jpg

I know that for most people an iPod dock that doesn't extract a digital bitstream, contain a DAC or transform into a jet that will fly you to a private island is kind of boring. If so, you have my permission to skip this mini-review of my new AV{DOCK} and BASE{DOCK} from Z-Docks (formerly known as Sieben Technologies).

When settting up my new listening station, I wanted something slightly more elegant than a white iPod sync cord plugged into a mini-LOD on the bottom of my Classic. And something that looks halfway decent next to my Schiit Asgard and HD650 would great. What I knew I did not want was anything white plastic, preferably something not plastic at all. And it also needed to support the back of the iPod so that I did not stress the dock connector every time I use the click wheel.

After some shopping around I took a chance on a newish product on the market. It priced at a slight premium (although not much so compared to Apples crummy-looking docks) and definitely has a premium look and feel about it. Die-cast from solid metal, the base weighs over half a pound and totally sits steady, also wrapping around the iPod and providing solid support. It's called the AV{DOCK} because it has both dual RCA audio connectors and an RCA video connector brought out of the iPod dock connector. I don't use the video but I do use the most important feature...it will act as an audio (and video) dock while its USB cable is also plugged in to continuously charge the iPod.

What can I say, it works perfectly and looks just like I had in mind. Comes with multiple inserts for almost all the historical iPod models (two exceptions among the older styles). And it costs around a hundred bucks shipped direct from Australia. Took just over a week for shipping on mine. Worth the cost, worth the wait in my opinion. As I said, a slight price premium but not ridiculously "Audiophile" priced by any means.

Through a twist of fate I won't go into, I also ended up with the Z-Docks basic sync/charge dock. It's called a BASE{DOCK} and is simply a nice-looking, cast metal, substantial implementation of the basic sync/charge dock. You can insert an Apple sync cord or any similarly shaped and sized dock-connector cord. A nice one is supplied with the BASE{DOCK} so I just used it. Costs about half as much as the AV{DOCK} and while it is substantial and steady as a base, I'll mention it does not have support behind the iPod like the AV{DOCK}. I keep mine permanently attached to the PC to use for sync'ing.

Here's a picture of my in use
AsgardHD650Zdock1.jpg

And a real crummy snapshot of the sync station
BaseDock.jpg

Company Web Site (NFI)

P.S. I forgot to mention that there's also a tiny little remote control supplied with the AV{DOCK}. You can see it sitting on the Asgard in the photo. About half the size of the older iPod Nano and it just has Pause, Play, Forward and Back transport buttons. Works fine but I don't use it as I sit right by the iPod when I'm listening. The AV{DOCK} also came with a USB wall charger, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back