Side-effects of having nice cans: I can't use/stand earbuds anymore...
Oct 14, 2007 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
After many, many months of not using any kind of earbuds, I listened to apple earbuds, nokia earbuds and then sennheiser MX400s for abiut half an hour each.

Boy oh boy they suck ALOT, all of them... I guess getting used to nice sounding cans has its side effects... Earbuds all sound COLD, ARTIFICIAL and COMPRESSED to my ears... Plus their low-end impact/presence is almost non-existant....

Looks like I'm doomed now. I'm condemned to walk in the crowd wearing BIG AS HELL headphones on my head and getting strange looks from people. Well, at least I'll smile back at them in my euphonic nirvana.
lambda.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 20
Yes, thats a sad side-effect of listening to high quality headphones at home.
You get used to a certain level of sound quality, which is hard/impossible to get from a portable rig.

We are both doomed!
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 20
It's not really true for me. When I listen to my headphones I love the sound/detail/presentation, but I miss the tight bass, accuraccy and intimacy of my IEMs. It's like comparing speakers wih headphones, there will never be a clear winner, it depends on the listener's mood and preference on that particular day. Unless you are talking about ibuds and nokia buds (as mentioned above) then, ya earbuds sucks, headphones are da best!!

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 20
I get that stupid grin everytime I use my IEMs travelling. As to listening to music, you will find yourself less and less satisfied with any music you listen to on less than a stellar system, headphone, or open.

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 20
I still find most of the details I missed in earbuds that I heard on my HD580s, but I really have to concentrate to hear them. It's the lack of soundstage that I really can't stand in earbuds. The tone/timbre/whatever you call it, is something else I miss going from my cans to ear buds.

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 20
I still love earbud, although real-size can gives some weight feeling~ My PK-1 still the best portable-outdoor earphone, and I almost feel wearing nothing, the sound just float away around me.

But... I still hate IEMs... maybe I need to try custom IEM.

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After many, many months of not using any kind of earbuds, I listened to apple earbuds, nokia earbuds and then sennheiser MX400s for abiut half an hour each.

Boy oh boy they suck ALOT, all of them... I guess getting used to nice sounding cans has its side effects... Earbuds all sound COLD, ARTIFICIAL and COMPRESSED to my ears... Plus their low-end impact/presence is almost non-existant....

Looks like I'm doomed now. I'm condemned to walk in the crowd wearing BIG AS HELL headphones on my head and getting strange looks from people. Well, at least I'll smile back at them in my euphonic nirvana.
lambda.gif

Only one solution to your dilemma. Hook that Hornet up to a pair of Yuin PK1s. Your view on ear buds will quickly change. Don't take my word for it, take Capunk's, or Kramer's ... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...12&postcount=3

Or read over the PK1 appreciation thread. You ears will thank you.

The PK1s obliterate previous notions about the lowly ear bud, in my opinion.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 20
LOL ya... I didn't want to lug along my MS-1s during my Hong Kong trip and was stuck with my MX550, wow... I hated them... the bass was all bloated and weird... I don't even know how to describe it. For a second, I thought my Clix has really bad SQ, then I tried on my uncle's E4Cs... THERE WE GO LOL

Oh and I agree with tstarn, most earbuds do suck except for a few like the Yuin PK series and the CK700 from Audio Technica.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Fortuitously its never been a problem for me. I have such microscopic interest in portable hi-fi that iBuds or a PX100 or whatever is more than sufficient for my needs,

Its not being able to live with a K701 level headphone in the home rig because of the O2s H2s and AMTs thats a bigger kick in the ear.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 20
IEMs are nice though. It's certainly a different sound, but I don't feel like I've lost anything with using IEMs for a portable setup. Plus the convenience factor makes up for it.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 20
Are $300ish headphones a lot better sounding than say....

Shure E500/SE530's?

That's something I'd like to know since I'm looking for a portable (and perhaps more bassy) DT-880/MS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back