Sid Meier's Civilization 5
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 36
I don't even know what modifications are for Civilization 4. I checked my bank account and I decided to buy this game with all of the extra civilization packs from Steam next Friday. In the meantime, I will be researching this purchase carefully. I have very little to no knowledge about Civilization 5 whatsoever other than professional reviews which seem to give it extremely high scores across the board. I am a bit dubious about those reviews.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 36
I did not buy it yet. I am going to wait until Friday, January 21st, 2011 to buy Civilization 5 with all of the optional downloadable civilizations from Steam because I get paid on that date by NJIT.

I will check out the website that you mentioned.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 36
CivFanatics is another vBulletin style discussion board about Sid Meier's Civilization game. It looks intense. There are more threads and replies on that board than here at Head-Fi. I may decide to join at a later time.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 36
This game crashes and freezes computers frequently for many of its owners. There are people with ultra high end desktop PCs that cannot get Civilization 5 to work properly. I might not decide to buy it.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 36
Interesting :s

That is not ideal.  I can tell you I have no problems, and I am running a Dell XPS 7100 w/six core Phenom AMD and above average graphics card (can't remember which ATI model specifically)

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 36
Actually, Valve Steam makes the game crash more frequently when users run a multi-player game using Microsoft DX11 settings if they have a GPU that can handle it. Single player mode against the computer AI crashes often too when run in DX11 mode. They say that running Civilization 5 under DX9 settings works best in single player or multi-player mode.

Firaxis and 2K are still working on solving the bugs through further patches.

I need my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC to work in a production environment (i.e., NJIT). I cannot afford to have system freezes or crashes especially given the fact that I have an Intel X25-M 160 GB solid state drive and I enabled delayed write caching to the drive.

While I would love to play Civilization 5, I have to ask a person with whom I work at NJIT who owns it to see if it is running stable for him tomorrow.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 36
These bugs are interesting to note.

I have been running DX11 for single player play and have had no problems thus far.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #27 of 36
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440616

This thread seems to be especially useful for owners of Sid Meier's Civilization 5 that are experiencing a wide variety of problems. It looks like this game was released a bit too prematurely. Such is the nature of the game industry and Civilization 5 is not the only one.

I want to buy it this Friday, but I am concerned about problems. I may decide to download the demo to test it on my system soon though.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #28 of 36
Well, I just downloaded and installed Sid Meier's Civilization 5 Demo. I tried to run it with Microsoft DirectX 10/11 and all it did was to give me a blank screen for 16 minutes. So, I opened up Windows Task Manager and I found out that the demo game crashed. I restarted the game in Steam and I chose DirectX 9 and it ran. I don't know how to play the game yet, so there is a learning curve involved. Now, I can see how this game can be a big waste of time. There are so many numerous options available.

It is a fast game that loads up quickly on my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. I was concerned that my computer's hardware specifications were not up to snuff.

I will play it again later tonight. I just received my copy of Laptop Magazine and a Netflix movie so I have to get busy reading and copying.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #29 of 36
I am playing this game now. It is beautiful and it is replete with gorgeous art deco design as well as interesting tidbits of activities. It is like Farmville on Facebook, but it is not socially connected and more complex.

I like it so far.

I think that I will do a search for Civilization 5 books on the Amazon Kindle system to learn more about the game play.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #30 of 36
I just finished one single player game at the easiest level possible. It was a lot of fun. I turned down most of the advanced graphics. The demo version has no patches whatsoever. It has limited support from Firaxis and 2K on the Valve Steam discussion forums. I registered my account and I am awaiting approval from a moderator or administrator.

This game is highly addictive and it is fun. It played well on my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. So long as I chose Microsoft DirectX 9 mode, it played fine. I wonder if the deluxe edition of this game will play on DirectX 11. I just ran the Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool and it says that my DirectX Version is DX11. According to Notebook Check, my nVIDIA GeForce GT 325 M is a DirectX 10.1 and Shader 4.1 certified GPU. Not bad. I just wish that the demo version would support it. I may have to give it another try to see what could be going wrong with the DirectX 10 or 11 mode within the demo game.

There is an official Civilization 5 strategy guide available for paperback, but the Amazon Kindle version is not yet available. I may have to wait until it is released if ever.

I will play another demo game tonight before I go to sleep. It is just too much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back