Sick of waking up to music
Jul 29, 2004 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
Am I the only one who always hears music in their dreams? No matter what time of the night my mind is always hearing music and lyrics.

This morning I woke up to "Oh, I've got a new pair of roller skates and you have a brand new key", and "How do you solve a problem like Maria? (Sound of Music)"

I know what the dreams mean, and I know that the music acts as triggers to dreams. But the constant music is starting to wear me down. I can't really get away from music since its always on TV and radio (should I choose not to listen via headphones); it's in supermarkets, stores, passing cars, movies, etc. Music is everywhere.

So it looks like its time to get out in the fresh aire for awhile, like the canyons of Sedona, and do some hiking and meditation; alcohol is a waste of time as it only quiets the mind for a few days.

Are you aware of when your mind is "hearing" music echoes?

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 14
I've never heard music in my dreams that I can recall. I sing in my dreams occasionally; which is odd, as I'm not exactly a singer. Perhaps this is a sign of narcissm
biggrin.gif

However, I do hear music day-to-day in my head, especially when it's very quiet and I'm clearing my mind. I mean music where it sounds as though a symphony is playing in my head; if I turn my head, the music source seems to change. The most memorable ones were Beethoven's 5th and The Star Spangled Banner. I have no idea what causes this or what it means, but it's actually rather fun. It's like having the world's best headphones embedded in your skull.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn

This morning I woke up to "Oh, I've got a new pair of roller skates and you have a brand new key"

Consider yourself "very" lucky that you didn't wake up to " I got a brand new combine harvester An' I'll give you the key" by the Wurzels
blink.gif

wurzels2.jpg

I drove my tractor through your haystack last night
(ooh aah ooh aah)
I threw me pitchfork at your dog to keep quiet
(ooh aah ooh aah)
Now something's telling me
That you'm avoiding me
Come on now darling you've got something I need

Cuz I got a brand new combine harvester
An' I'll give you the key
Come on now let's get together
In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three
Now I got a brand new combine harvester

She made I laugh ha ha

I'll stick by you, I'll give you all that you need
We'll 'ave twins and triplets
I'm a man built for speed
And you know I'll love you darlin'
So give me your hand
But what I want the most
Is all they acres of land

In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three

Ooaah she's a lovely bit of stuff an' all

For seven long years I've been alone in this place
Eat, sleep, in the kitchen, it's a proper disgrace
Now if I cleaned it up would you change your mind
I'll give up drinking scrumpy and that lager and lime

In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three

Who loves ya baby ha

Weren't we a grand couple at that last wurzel dance
I wore brand new gaters and me cordouroy pants
In your new Sunday dress with your perfume smelling grand
We had our photos took and us holding hands

Now that we'me both past our fifties I think that you and me
Should stop this galavanting and will you marry me
Coz I got a brand new combine harvester

Aahh yu're a fine looking woman and I can't wait to get me 'ands on your land

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
man you people are wierd, hearing music in your dream and your head? i guess you must dedicate alot more time to music than the avrage people.

That's a given, though. I mean, if you spend a fortune on audio equipment and spend a significant amount of time on a forum discussing audio equipment, you're probably going to be listening to music a lot more than the average Joe.

I also seem to hear music in my head whenever it is quiet, but I also have this idiosyncrasy where I only hear one instrument playing at a time. I never seem to wake up to music playing in my head, though, as my alarm overpowers whatever thoughts I have in my head in the morning.

At times I try to attempt a mash-up in my head where I try to take an instrument from a song and add it to another song playing in my head, but whenever I try that, my head just ends up hurting.
600smile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJHK
I also seem to hear music in my head whenever it is quiet, but I also have this idiosyncrasy where I only hear one instrument playing at a time.

YES! I have that as well. Except with careful thought, I can layer instruments. As I said, it's quite fun. I'll start out with just a piano, then add strings, maybe percussion...

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Pinky,

LOL! You're sick, man.

The music in my head never stops. It's a layer on top of my thoughts and dreams, like music in a movie.

I once rented a PS2 and played Ace Combat for 12 hours straight. When I woke up in the morning I found that besides the music and dreaming of flying, my fingers were still going crazy as if there was a controller in my hands.

I think it's time to bone up on Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller. But it'll mean that I have to turn off the TV and just watch DVDs and put the tape in the car.

But tomorrow all the movies will come out.

So I expect to be dreaming of Thunderbirds-Are-Go and Thunderbird music. They had better have good music or I am going to be one pissed puppy.

Time to start programming my dreams before falling asleep.

Stephon,

It's not a matter of hearing music in one's dream. It's a matter of becoming aware that the mind has been repeating music all night long. Subconsciously one is dreaming. But consciously one is hearing music. Since you are not aware (conscious) while dreaming, the mind keeps hearing music or thinking while the other part of you dreams. At a certain point you then become aware that your thoughts are generating your dreams. To wit, I was not dreaming of roller skating. But the msuic was saying that I have a problem and that I am searching for a solution. My mind is still crunching the numbers, so to speak, while I am dreaming of fluffy clouds and peppermints. (I wouldn't be surprised if I wake up tomorrow with "Incense and peppermints..." on my mind tomorrow morning). Actually I dreamt about all my old friends at my job years ago. There I was, happy, working on my computer problems. So my problem is trying to find a computer job that will make me as happy as I was years ago.

It's like when you're in deep thought during the day. Then you hear a song and can't get it out of your mind. The song is providing the solution. But we have to become quiet to listen to what it is saying. If you do not listen during the day it may continue to play during the sleeping hours.

PS,

No, I do not go to sleep listening to the alarm radio. Nor do I wake up to music. I try to always be aware of what music is playing every moment of the day and what affects it may be having on my thoughts, mind and body, each second to second. That's why I chose one supermarket over another - better music besides layout. I enjoyed the better layout because of the better music.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
...with careful thought, I can layer instruments. As I said, it's quite fun. I'll start out with just a piano, then add strings, maybe percussion...

LOL! Thanks for a good laugh Stephonovich.
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Really not all that unusual. Having been a professional musician much earlier in my life, I still can hear a song and sometimes I actually "see" the notes in my mind's eye.

It's only when I begin to see sounds and hear colors that I know I'm in trouble.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Pinky,

LOL! You're sick, man.

The music in my head never stops. It's a layer on top of my thoughts and dreams, like music in a movie.

I once rented a PS2 and played Ace Combat for 12 hours straight. When I woke up in the morning I found that besides the music and dreaming of flying, my fingers were still going crazy as if there was a controller in my hands.

I think it's time to bone up on Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller. But it'll mean that I have to turn off the TV and just watch DVDs and put the tape in the car.

But tomorrow all the movies will come out.

So I expect to be dreaming of Thunderbirds-Are-Go and Thunderbird music. They had better have good music or I am going to be one pissed puppy.

Time to start programming my dreams before falling asleep.

Stephon,

It's not a matter of hearing music in one's dream. It's a matter of becoming aware that the mind has been repeating music all night long. Subconsciously one is dreaming. But consciously one is hearing music. Since you are not aware (conscious) while dreaming, the mind keeps hearing music or thinking while the other part of you dreams. At a certain point you then become aware that your thoughts are generating your dreams. To wit, I was not dreaming of roller skating. But the msuic was saying that I have a problem and that I am searching for a solution. My mind is still crunching the numbers, so to speak, while I am dreaming of fluffy clouds and peppermints. (I wouldn't be surprised if I wake up tomorrow with "Incense and peppermints..." on my mind tomorrow morning). Actually I dreamt about all my old friends at my job years ago. There I was, happy, working on my computer problems. So my problem is trying to find a computer job that will make me as happy as I was years ago.

It's like when you're in deep thought during the day. Then you hear a song and can't get it out of your mind. The song is providing the solution. But we have to become quiet to listen to what it is saying. If you do not listen during the day it may continue to play during the sleeping hours.

PS,

No, I do not go to sleep listening to the alarm radio. Nor do I wake up to music. I try to always be aware of what music is playing every moment of the day and what affects it may be having on my thoughts, mind and body, each second to second. That's why I chose one supermarket over another - better music besides layout. I enjoyed the better layout because of the better music.

Wallijohn,

If your every waking moments and thoughts are accompanied by an orchestra then I seriously think you should seek advice from a professional counsellor.......... no, I'm not joking....... seriously mate, if it's bugging you that much then I'd advise you speak to someone who may be able to help.

In the meantime, my advice would be to take a break from listening to music....... come over to Scotland and sniff some fresh air (you're welcome at my home anytime and can stay as long as you want)....... take a break my friend. Listening to Music isn't compulsory.....

Mike.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 14
I used hear music in quiet times all the time from as early an age as I can remember. The songs were the stupid AM radio Bubble Gum Stuff that was popular in the mid 60” that were just meant to be played in your head since the lyrics were short and simple plus stupid. My got at age 10 hearing Chewy Chewy chewy by the 1910 fruit-gum company over and over again was a Bummer http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/music/bubblegum.htm

then simple beach boys songs in later years then Beatles hay Jude and then some classical aria Maria and yes the sound quality was indeed better than any reproduction so it gave me a reference of what things should sound like except for the Bass that was always absent in my head.

Later on when I started taking Zoloft and the music was replaced with faint white noise. Meditation also did the trick but its real hard and requires a lot of concentration now what is really strange is now I actually buy some of that old stupid **** just to remember what times were like then strange Hu

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
LOL! Thanks for a good laugh Stephonovich.
tongue.gif

I was being serious, actually. But yeah, I see the funny point to it... A lot of my speech/posts is like that. I say something with all seriousness and people start laughing. Anyway... Oh yes, props for spelling my username right. Very few do.

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Wal,

If your every waking moment and thoughts are accompanied by an orchestra ...

I do not hear music in my head every moment. I am aware that my mind is hearing music. During the day I am aware when music is playing. I do not hear music unless it is connected to a thought. Once I become aware of the music I become aware of the thought and trace it back to the root stimulus. It's all a matter of being aware of thought associations.

When I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, as I become aware that I am partially awake, I become aware of the music that my mind is playing back. I do not try to stop it nor do I ask myself why I am thinking of the music. It is just there.

When I wake up, before I open my eyes, and I become aware of my consciousness, I find that there is music playing. Had I kept sleeping chances are that the music would have changed and another random song or lyric would have been playing when I awoke later on. I just acknowledge that the music is there.

Now, you can say that you do not hear music, but I have to ask if it is just because that you are not aware that you hear music? I would think that since there are so many music listeners here that many of you are not aware that you are listening subconsciously to music, or that in actuality you are hearing music. You just are not aware that you are doing so. It's like breathing - no one is aware that one is breathing when coming out of sleep. But I am.

The same retort is heard by many - "I don't dream". Of course you do, otherwise you're either enlightened or insane. Just because you cannot remember doesn't mean that you do not dream. Chances are that you do dream - you just are not aware that you dreamt or that you are dreaming while sleeping.

As an experiment - see what your first thought is when you wake up. Then look and see if there isn't music playing in the background of your mind.

I want to wakeup hearing Benny Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing (Bluebird)" tomorrow morning.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I do not hear music in my head every moment. I am aware that my mind is hearing music. During the day I am aware when music is playing. I do not hear music unless it is connected to a thought. Once I become aware of the music I become aware of the thought and trace it back to the root stimulus. It's all a matter of being aware of thought associations. When I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, as I become aware that I am partially awake, I become aware of the music that my mind is playing back. I do not try to stop it nor do I ask myself why I am thinking of the music. It is just there. When I wake up, before I open my eyes, and I become aware of my consciousness, I find that there is music playing. Had I kept sleeping chances are that the music would have changed and another random song or lyric would have been playing when I awoke later on. I just acknowledge that the music is there.

Now, you can say that you do not hear music, but I have to ask if it is just because that you are not aware that you hear music? I would think that since there are so many music listeners here that many of you are not aware that you are listening subconsciously to music, or that in actuality you are hearing music. You just are not aware that you are doing so. It's like breathing - no one is aware that one is breathing when coming out of sleep. But I am.

My offer of sanctuary from music and fresh air and a break still stands mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back