sick of IEM, need headphones
Dec 1, 2006 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ShadowVlican

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Sennheiser CX300-B

While it sounds great and all, I don't like hearing myself breathe, walk like godzilla, swallow, etc. Every time it hit the cord, it's a loud thump, which isn't good for portability because you're bound to hit the cord. With headphones, I don't believe I have this problem
biggrin.gif

So now I'm looking for a pair of entry headphones. I don't need anything uber, because I don't feel like investing in an amp. I just need something that plugs into the 3.5mm jack on my 2G shuffle and works
580smile.gif

Yes, 2G shuffle. Not the greatest sounding DAP, but i wanted something FREAKING SMALL, and since the iriver s10 isn't available in Canada, 2G shuffle is the next best
frown.gif

So yea, I just need a headphone that will compliment my 2G shuffle (sound wise) so nothing overkill, though nothing from the dollar store
wink.gif
I suspect the price of such low end headphones won't be too much, so I will not post a budget limit for this.

TIA,
ShadowVlican

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 13
PX100 and KSC75

the EX90 is a bit borderline, because of it being canalphones; but i see where kramer is going with this, as the EX90 doesn't suffer from the microphonics most conventional canalphones/IEMs do

that being said, also recommend the EX90.
tongue.gif

i have those 3 and they work pretty well with the 2G shuffle (which BTW, doesn't sound that bad, apart from the apparent hissing)

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 13
hey thanks for all the suggestions!

i'm gonna see if i can find the following locally:
Sennheiser PX100
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75

i'll be staying away from the Sony MDR-EX90, unless someone can really convince me it's free of the symptoms listed in my first post
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 13
I use my EX90s and UM2s in the gym all the time with no problems... Im a musician thats very picky about the sound I get from my players and headphones - I assure you I wont be using these IEMs in the gym where Im running, deep breathing etc if there was any problems - there aint! The UM1/2's are a bit better for the things you are looking for as they sit in the ear a tiny bit better than the EX90's - but still the sony is very good.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey thanks for all the suggestions!

i'm gonna see if i can find the following locally:
Sennheiser PX100
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75

i'll be staying away from the Sony MDR-EX90, unless someone can really convince me it's free of the symptoms listed in my first post
frown.gif

My oppinions on the EX90:

Breathing = No problems with "IEM Darth Vader effect".

Walking = No problems with "IEM godzilla effect".

Swallowing / chewing = No problems there either, mind your table manners and chew with your mouth closed.

Cord microphonics = If I intentionally hit the cord at ~7 inches it will make some noise, but no where near as loud as my e2c. Casual portable use however is quiet.

Physically my only complaint about the EX90 is the "J"cord.
IMHO you should still consider it, IMHO its MUCH more portable than any of the cans on your list.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 13
i'm glad i was able to properly portray my reasons against IEMs, and now i've learned new terms such as "IEM Darth Vader effect" and "IEM godzilla effect"
k1000smile.gif

so it seems like the Sony MDR-EX90 don't have those problems? (not that i don't trust you, but i wouldn't want to spend $100 only to find out it's no different than my CX300 and retired EX71)

must be the design of the cord? softer plastics/rubber? you're right about them being much more portable (especially compared to the Grado SR60
eek.gif
)

i'll see if i can find those locally too then!

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
must be the design of the cord? softer plastics/rubber?

The 90s are ported; each driver housing has a vent (three, actually) to bring out the bass that means you don't have the more closed seal you get w/non-ported IEMs, hence the sounds you make (walking, breathing, etc.) are not amplified anything like with other models. But be aware: this effect still does exist with the 90s, just to a much lesser degree. Still, I've used the 90s fairly satisfactorily for running, which produces a hella lotta thudding with sealed IEMs.

For on-the-go use, I think the 90s strike a nice balance between blocking more distracting/competing exterior sound than, say the SR60s - without totally enclosing you in a bubble of footfalls and cord rustling - while offering a decent, fairly plump sound.

Edited to add: On the other hand, if blocking out a bit of exterior noise should *not* be a priority for you in a pair of portables, you can't go wrong with the PX100s. They fold up nice and neat, and will make you go "wow" when you first hear how much smooth, punchy bass these wee beasties can produce.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 90s are ported; each driver housing has a vent (three, actually) to bring out the bass that means you don't have the more closed seal you get w/non-ported IEMs, hence the sounds you make (walking, breathing, etc.) are not amplified anything like with other models. But be aware: this effect still does exist with the 90s, just to a much lesser degree. Still, I've used the 90s fairly satisfactorily for running, which produces a hella lotta thudding with sealed IEMs.

For on-the-go use, I think the 90s strike a nice balance between blocking more distracting/competing exterior sound than, say the SR60s - without totally enclosing you in a bubble of footfalls and cord rustling - while offering a decent, fairly plump sound.

i see... so the design doesn't amplify internal noises because it doesn't totally seal up your ear like ear plugs
cool.gif

i guess ported = good
icon10.gif
(don't know why anyone would spend so much on earphones that reproduce music so finely yet also reproduce these unwanted effects making it not very practical unless u were a statue)

time to go shopping around for myself tomorrow
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 13
could find the sony or grado anywhere here... not a big fan of clip style like the KOSS

i went with Sennheiser PX100 WHITE

currently being "burned in".... no idea if that makes any difference... but i'm in no hurry to take them out on the streets, so might as well
icon10.gif

probably a step down from the CX300 i had, but i was sick on the IEM side effects
mad.gif

thanks for the suggestions guys
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back