Sick of crappy sound and new computer due soon - need advice for set up!!
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tim182

New Head-Fier
I suddenly am finding myself drawn into the world quality audio and need some advice 
dt880smile.png

I decided that am due for a computer upgrade soon (planning on getting an Ivy Bridge setup once they are released) and this seems like a good opportunity to also get a better sound set-up.

Current set-up:
I use my PC as a workstation but also have my TV and sound system hooked up to it. So the PC acts as a media player for music and movies. Currently I am using the Realtek on-board sound to connect directly to my sound system via SPDIF.

Gear:
- Logitech Z5450 speakers which are hooked up to my TV, Xbox and the PC. Mostly used for movies and Xbox. Not fussed about upgrading, they are good enough for day-to-day use. When I want quality sound I generally use my headphones.
- A pair of wireless Sennheiser RS170 hooked into the computer's line-out or the Logitech's headphone out when needed
- A pair of Sennheiser HD558 which I mostly use with my iPod but sometimes also hook into the Logitech's headphone out 
- I am about to order a FiiO E6 or E11

Considerations (and this is where I need help!)
1. Onboard sound versus sound card:
- I currently am connecting to my speakers via the computer onboard sound's SPDIF to my Logitech speakers.
- Is it correct to use the SPDIF over the analogue out for mp3s? 
- Would an onboard sound-card give me better results when using SPDIF for a) movies encoded with Dolby Digital and b) mp3s
- If so, what's good value for money sound card to get?

2. Music player:
- I currently am using iTunes as a music player, simply because it is very convenient for managing audio books and compilations. Is there any benefit in using Foobar (or similar) over iTunes when I use my RS or HDs?

3. Central receiver:
- would it make sense to get a central receiver? My Logitech currently handles this quite well but obviously can't provide the quality for the headphones. If so, it should be able to do the following:
1: provide input for PC, Xbox and TV and a universal line-in
2: provide output to the logitech sound system, the RS via line out and the HD via headphone out
What would be a good value for money receiver?
- Should I go this route, should I connect my computer via SPDIF and would I need a sound card or would on-board be sufficient?

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 4
1. Only thing I can vouch for is an Xonar DG. $30 and works damn well. Didn't really hear an audible difference between on-board and dedicated though. Mainly got it for Dolby Surround when I play games with my headphones (which, now that I think about it, is like never) and so the mobo wouldn't have to process as much. I'm not TOO sure if there's audible difference. I didn't bother testing because my towers below my desk so it'd be a pain switching between on-board and dedicated. Everything else I don't have a clue :).

2. I use iTunes. It's prettier and feels far more organized (could be because I've been using it for ~10 years or something). I tried Foobar. I hated it. Just layout wise. Also Foobar was just confusing as hell to me on how to even play music. Foobar is less resource hogging though while iTunes does take like 100~200mb. Only benefit I could think of while using your headphones is the better equalizer really. I don't think it'd change how it'd sound much. More dependent on your set-up (though phone / pmp wise, the software really did affect it. On Android, PlayerPro sounds far better to me than PowerAmp, but PowerAmp is the most popular player in the store).

3. No clue.

^my 2¢, since it's more opinion based.. my bad :).

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
1. Only thing I can vouch for is an Xonar DG. $30 and works damn well. Didn't really hear an audible difference between on-board and dedicated though. Mainly got it for Dolby Surround when I play games with my headphones (which, now that I think about it, is like never) and so the mobo wouldn't have to process as much. I'm not TOO sure if there's audible difference. I didn't bother testing because my towers below my desk so it'd be a pain switching between on-board and dedicated. Everything else I don't have a clue :).

2. I use iTunes. It's prettier and feels far more organized (could be because I've been using it for ~10 years or something). I tried Foobar. I hated it. Just layout wise. Also Foobar was just confusing as hell to me on how to even play music. Foobar is less resource hogging though while iTunes does take like 100~200mb. Only benefit I could think of while using your headphones is the better equalizer really. I don't think it'd change how it'd sound much. More dependent on your set-up (though phone / pmp wise, the software really did affect it. On Android, PlayerPro sounds far better to me than PowerAmp, but PowerAmp is the most popular player in the store).

3. No clue.

^my 2¢, since it's more opinion based.. my bad :).

Cool thanks for your comments! 

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 4
An Asus Xonar DG sound would help with the headphones (Senn RS170 & HD558), but you would still use the motherboard's S/PDIF to the Logitech speakers.
The Xonar DG can decently power the HD558s, so you may not need to get the Fiio amp.

Getting a A/V receiver would benefit because it would come with Dolby Digital and give you a something to plug the headphones into.
If your video card comes with HDMI output, you could use that to connect to the receiver (best way for Blu-ray sound).
Optical connect would be second best connection between PC and receiver.
But to work with the Logitech speakers the receiver would need an optical output or pre-outs (analog).
Yamaha A/V receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is surround sound for headphones.
A used Yamaha RX-V665 (pre-outs) can sell for under $200.
Using the Yamaha's pre-outs for the Logitech speakers (and your headphones) gives the advantage of using the Yamaha's Burr-Brown 192/24 DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back